WSM build on long action???

bosstom

Im sure this has been covered before, but im not finding what I want to know.

Im trying to plan a build for deer and elk and I have it narrowed to four rounds 7wsm, 7mm rem mag, 300wsm and 300 win mag. I will be shooting distances up to 700 yards.

If I go with the wsm on a long action what gains if any compared to being a short action? Are there any drawbacks building on a long action. I want to shoot the heavier bullets 160-180's in the 7 and 200's or 210's in the 300. Will there be any performance gains by seating the bullets out further and increasing case capacity.

The rifle would be setup the same with all of my four choices. I will be buying a new Stevens 200 for the action and ordering a Brux barrel in 26'' setup without the barrel nut and try to keep the total weight around 9-10 pounds.

I like wsm's due to them buring a little less powder, but I haven't been convinced they are a better choice over the standard mags. I would really like to have a 338 edge, but not sure how it would perform in a 9-10 pound rifle?

Last edited:
If I was going to build a 9lb rifle on a long action, I'd choose the 7mm Rem Mag from the 4 you listed.

You could build the Edge at 10lb's but it would be a handful, even with a brake. It would be manageable if you don't mind recoil though.

AJ

I just got done building a 7mmWSM on a Savage long action. It's a little heavier with a 28" varmint taper barrel with the nut.

I went with an 8" twist Shilen.

If you get the LA for the 7WSM to shoot teh 175 SMK, 180 Berger, 189 Cauterucio, or soon to be re-released 200 ULD from Wildcat, then you can maximize available case capacity and still have the benefit of an internal magazine. If you go SA, you'll end up with a bunch of bullet inside the case eatting lots of case capacity.

JeffN

besides what was stated above, if you build on a long action you could always try a switch barrel. Have another barrel(and bolt if needed) for a 338 edge maybe? Make sure you have a center feed mag system if you are going with a wsm. I built a 7wsm short action and turned it into a 6X47lapua and built a 7wsm long action. My next build in progress is the 284Jazz(7-338Norma mag blown out). It should have some severe horsepower.

Brent

I'll second the long action on the wsm cartriges. Just make sure your smith throats the chamber for extended bullet seating.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.