WSM lawsuit is screwing everything up

Get her a Tikka!! yeah fat chance, I am with someone above that said get the extreme weather... problem is you would keep it for yourself cause those things are bad ***...anyway did you check gunbroker?

Just curious mike, Why a fat chance of a tikka?

I looked online, & went thru all my options on Wby's website, before I went to pmace my order. The guys behind the counter went thru multiple catalogues from thier various suppliers. None were available. All but the first store said no go. The first said they would do whatever it took to find one, (there is a reason I went there first) The last guy muttered something about the WSM, & specifically brought up the whole lawsuit as the reason. (there was a reason I went there LAST:D)
It struck me as odd, so I called up the first store with the reasoning the last store said, & all I got in response was "....hmm, could be..... Can't figure why else...... But ill bet with enough looking we can get you one.... Somehow."
Now I really trust the first store. & its been years since I've even hered of that lawsuit, so I thought it had gone away. I'm glad to here its done with, & now I'm just confused why, & how the guy at the LAST store used the lawsuit speciffically as the reason, & why nobody (locally anyway) can get one??....
Guess I don't need to go to the last store for anything firearms related anymore huh.
Well, now I have a decision to make.....

It's a hard pill to swallow when you spend weeks deciding on upgrades to the cheaper rifle, to be told you can't get it.

I'm thinkin if I stray away from the Model-70 Ill regret it now. I'm gonna have to sleep on it some more. I dunno. I'm gettin "gunshy" about straying now.
I need alot BIGGER tax return, so I don't have to decide. I could just get one of Lens sweet lookin turn-key rigs in 300WSM & problemb would be solved! Not factory, guaranteed accuracy, not like anything I've ever owned before, but I could be at ease buying one. :Dgun)
I wish....:rolleyes:
I'm seriously thinkin the daydreaming part is way more enjoyable than the buying part of any new gun at this point, unless its a custom. No wonder so many guys go that route.
I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Re: WSM lawsuit is screwing everything up??

I dont think ole' winmag would buy a tikka. They are a weee bit to awesome for him, im a little suprised he is considering anything but a m70. If he knew what was good for him he would get a tikka though....Mostly I was just harassing him.

Thanks Mike... You just earned your place next to bigngreen:D

From what I here, some wildcatter/writer named Rick Jamison, or something (no, not Rick James haha), "pattented" or somehow got the rights to the design before Olin-Winchester introduced the WSM case with nearly identicle dimensions. There's been a lawsuit for years. Maybe strictly royalties. I dunno. I'm Soooo far removed from the real story I have no idea what's true, & what isn't.
Everytime I think it must have been settled, it rears its ugly head again.

Maybe ill just save my $ & wait till somebody posts a Model-70 in 300WSM on the LRH classifides, & buy a package deal. Who knows.
I'm just "irrked", cause id already gone over what I wanted to do to the Wby 100's of times in my head, & now this stupid lawsuit thing again...! At least that's what I've been told by 4 different sporting goods stores is the reason.

Jamison basicly stole the concept from Parker Ackley who used the old .348 case (rimmed). Wouldn't have mattered much anyway as Ackley never bothered to patent anything. Jamison used the Ackley idea and a better case. All Winchester had to do was change the numbers a couple thousandths one way or another to avoid the copyrights. Anyway it sounds as if Jamison (Shooting Times magazine writer) is trying to pull a stunt off like J.D. Jones, and thus kill off a concept.
gary

Smart ***. Even if they had sexy aftermarket parts that'd be like puttin lipstick on a pig.:D
But in your defense Savage guys, the new Thompson takes the crown from you in the ugly department.:D man that thing is hard on the eyes.

Are the wbys s2's? Or the older ones? I may P.M. You for the stores name depending on how this whole thing turns out.
I did give into temptation, & fondle a new FN Model-70 in 300 win, but that whole belted case thing.... I just sold my Model-70 300wby, so I could get a 300WSM..... I need deeper pockets!:D

but on the otherhand you can almost always hit what you aim at <g>!
glt

Found one for you. Go to Auction Arms. Type in Vanguard 300 WSM. I got one hit. It is only $517 plus $31 shipping. Foun another on Arms Broker. They wanted $1000 plus for it.... Good luck. Bruce

A few years ago I bought a custom 7 WSM. Then this Jamison stuff came up so I bought a bunch of brass thinking everything would dry up. Well it never happened. Plenty of brass and loaded ammo available. He was a very good gun writer, hope he is happy.
tc

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.