Would you eat this bull?

I once ate half a bucket of KFC that had been sitting in a car for two days during the summer, so my opinion on this matter might not be worth much to you.

Do you think pigeon fever is a possibility?
Doubt it. Pigeon fever is a disease of horses, also known as dryland distemper or equine distemper, caused by the Gram-positive bacteria Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis biovar equi. Infected horses commonly have swelling in the chest area, making it look similar to a 'pigeon chest'. This disease is common in dry areas.

Doubt it. Pigeon fever is a disease of horses, also known as dryland distemper or equine distemper, caused by the Gram-positive bacteria Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis biovar equi. Infected horses commonly have swelling in the chest area, making it look similar to a 'pigeon chest'. This disease is common in dry areas.

Yes, i am unfortunately familiar with it, and read of an instance once where captive elk contracted it from nearby infected horses likely from fly transfer. Just wondering if you were aware of any such instances or if it would be possible for a wild elk to catch it.

The attached pictures are of a bull killed in Idaho by one of our sons' best friends. The bull looked healthy, but he had a hideous injury. I've had the pictures looked at by three veterinarians, and none of them had any idea of what could cause the injury. There was no hide/skin over the wound, just healing meat. There was no odor at all, and there was no smell at all. The wounded area was, of course, discarded and the rest of the carcass was butchered. Brian, the hunter who got the bull, said the meat was perfect.

I'd like to hear your opinions on what could cause such a wound. By the way, there had not been any fires in this area for almost three years. IMG_3021.jpgIMG_3012.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.