Worth reloading for gas guns?

Do you reload for casual use gas guns? I'm on the fence if it is worth it, brass seems to take a bit of a beating, plus not sure I want to dip into my primer stash for my "fun" guns vs dedicated hunting or LR rigs.

What do you guys think? I'm running 308 as well, not 556
I'm running 22 Creedmoor and a 6.5 creedmoor in an AR 10 so I reload. Some factory rounds over gas the gun.

I'd be curious to hear about this when/if you put one together. I now have 3 bolt dashers. Really like the accuracy of the cartridge. Cost of reloading isnt terrible either.
Having a mag limit of 2.260ish makes both a good contender, but the 6max beats them because of higher max pressure. The heaviest I plan on shooting is 90gr (Sierra 90fmj which has been discontinued) which makes it a good fit (75gr is my 2nd choice). Using ql for my referencing.

I'd probably do more of the same if I lived in a free state, and didn't have to notify the Feds everytime I bought ammo, which I refuse to do. Especially for shotshell. Since January 2019 I've bought exactly 1 box of ammo, a 50 rd box of .357 Sig in 2020 for a CCW qualification, before I was setup to reload that caliber, and that was a PITA with the purchase first being denied, then finally approved. As it is, I kind of enjoy at least semi-permanent residency in my reloading area. 😉. I have quiet, a radio, my dog, a well organized 4 press setup that I enjoy (all Inline Fab mounting and storage options), and no nagging. (You married guys maybe can relate? 🤔🙄😉)

Right now my goal is to save up to get a Howa 1500 as a basis for a Precision Rifle project, my first, but I have to do it before July because the statist bast@&#$ here passed a law adding an 11% surcharge onto all firearms purchases effective that month. They never stop trying…!
I love that cartridge, but it was a PITA when starting reloading for it. I have it chambered in 2 guns (p226 & g31). It's a fun round!

I load for my AR 5.56, I use free range brass after sorting, cleaning, small base resize, neck size/decap, swage out primer pockets if needed, then charge, seat to fit in magazine & finally crimp. I just picked up 295 pieces of 5.56 brass. Best haul was 100 pieces of LC, I made these into .20P bolt gun ammo for shooting rodents.

No problems, work just fine but inspect carefully & make sure of good fit in magazine. I'm looking at a longer 20 inch plus upper to complement the 16 inch that I have now. I shoot mostly 62 grain Hornady FMJ bullets but am planning on lighter zippy expandable bullets for rodents.

Last edited:
I reload every cartridge that I have in an AR pattern rifle except for 22lr. This includes .223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 300BO, 6mmARC, .308 Win, and 7.62x39. In fact, I reload for 13 different cartridges total. There are many reasons to reload but my primary reason to reload semi-auto cartridges is that I can load a better bullet and customize loads for my rifles. Also, I know exactly what I am shooting if I ever need to rely on my ammo for defensive use. Contrary to what some folks might say, I am more confident in my own reloads and their performance than factory ammo that lies on the box. For example, I purchased 5,000 bonded fusion bullets .22 cal a few years ago and with my investment in cases and powder over the years I can cook up some awesome barrier blind ammo. If you are just wanting to reload plinking ammo, I'd probably just buy the cheapest stuff I could find. But then again, reloading is therapeutic, so why not do it? You don't have to reload everything you shoot after all.

Like those above, I reload for everything as well. I have AR's in about every flavor that you can imagine, including some wildcats. I cast 55gr .224 bullets that I powder coat and then load up in 223/5.56, and I also cast big ole heavy 300gr for 300blk. I love shooting subs, and I love hunting with them, especially with Makers bullets.

Now some of my gas guns I have to reload for, because you can't really buy ammo for them (7mm Valkyrie, 8.6Blackout, 458 SOCOM), but others I do just because I enjoy it. I say do you, and if its just plinking, by all means use whatever goes pew!

Recent Posts