Waddya mean gas guns dont shoot?

Posted this before 1000 yards NRA National LR. AR10, 20 inch barrel, 4.5X scope, sling, prone. Launching 168 Hybrids. 200-15X not bad for a gas gun. Shooter is my former teammate in TX.

Screenshot_20210414-160900_Gallery.jpg

Sure, they shoot. Some shoot very accurately. My only problem with auto loaders is the trashing of my precious brass. I still love them, but struggle with serious brass and load prep when observing the aftermath after a range session.
That is only true of some auto loaders. I have zero dings in my 3 AR-10's cases. you would never know that my 308 brass came out of a semi. Years ago I had a AR-15 that scratched the necks on the 223's. It was a stainless 18 inch with a SS BCG. The only thing that I could see doing it when slowly manually ejecting the empty polished cases is that the ejector was swinging the case causing it to drag across the very sharp barrel bolt lugs.
I removed the barrel and rounded/polished the chamber sides of the locking lugs and the problem was gone.

I've also see dented cases caused by short gas tube length guns. I only use rifle length and r+2 inch. Higher pressures of carbine and mid length are much more violent because of the increased pressure at the gas port. The key to pressure drop is longer and smaller diameter gas port holes. I only use the heavy full auto bolts, light flat wound springs, and the lighter buffer tube weights.

That is only true of some auto loaders. I have zero dings in my 3 AR-10's cases. you would never know that my 308 brass came out of a semi. Years ago I had a AR-15 that scratched the necks on the 223's. It was a stainless 18 inch with a SS BCG. The only thing that I could see doing it when slowly manually ejecting the empty polished cases is that the ejector was swinging the case causing it to drag across the very sharp barrel bolt lugs.
I removed the barrel and rounded/polished the chamber sides of the locking lugs and the problem was gone.

I've also see dented cases caused by short gas tube length guns. I only use rifle length and r+2 inch. Higher pressures of carbine and mid length are much more violent because of the increased pressure at the gas port. The key to pressure drop is longer and smaller diameter gas port holes. I only use the heavy full auto bolts, light flat wound springs, and the lighter buffer tube weights.
Do you use an adjustable gas block?

Do you use an adjustable gas block?
not on my ar-10's which are just gas guns and I run full up near max loads. Not service rifle! 308 using speer TNT 125 grain varmint bullets and TAC powder is a real pig killer at 3200 fps. I use caldwell brass catchers and blaze away at hogs on feeders from stands and quads.

I welded up some bars on my quad for a solid rest when you pull up to a field. We had a dusting of snow yesterday. I can strap on 3 ar's on the bars in soft cases like for squirrel and PD days.

Honda bars.jpg

I only have adjustable gas blocks on my piston ar-15's. I've always use the smaller steel gas blocks for what ever diameter barrel. I grind a dimple for the set screws so the blocks won't move.

I have an Adams and two Superlative arms rifle length pistons kits and both of them have failed out in the wilds from going out of adjustment after hundreds upon hundred of rounds. Then you have muck with them if they haven't lost a screw or something

adjustables are just another point of failure compared to non adjustable. You just have to put some thought and change the weights of items to get YOUR ammo to cycle right and all the rounds landing out there at 2:30. No reason to use an adjustable. spend you money on SS match grade barrel and specify smal diameter gas holes with rifle or rifle + two inches