Wolf or Coyote???

I want to make it clear that what I stated is just my opinion. I'm no expert on this, but I know the coyotes up in this north country get big enough when they have a decent food source to be mistaken for wolves. If that picture is in the upper part of NY, maybe there is a chance that some wolves or hybrids have moved down from north of the border. It's too bad we can't see a full picture of the animal in question and that he didn't check the tracks for size. The tracks alone would tell you because a wolf track is huge compared to a coyote.

I want to make it clear that what I stated is just my opinion. I'm no expert on this, but I know the coyotes up in this north country get big enough when they have a decent food source to be mistaken for wolves. If that picture is in the upper part of NY, maybe there is a chance that some wolves or hybrids have moved down from north of the border. It's too bad we can't see a full picture of the animal in question and that he didn't check the tracks for size. The tracks alone would tell you because a wolf track is huge compared to a coyote.

Topgun,
I know its your opinion and I meant no disrespect in answering another forum member, its a very interesting discussion we are having on this wolf or coyote....
I do value your opinion, on this.
I think i will contact Gary and invite him to this site and maybe he can shed a little more light on this. Maybe he has checked the tracks or has a different picture now.

hunterbob---That never crossed my mind and there is absolutely no need for any type of apology. I get carried away sometimes and I just wanted to make sure that you knew I might be wrong, especially if he lives way up toward Canada.

Yep I am sure of it, that first picture was just a coyote. We are infested with coyotes that look like that! You make **** sure you get all of them killed or you will have wolves soon!

rooster740---I hope you realize in making those remarks that we are not talking about the picture in the OP with the guy holding up that dead critter!

hunterbob---That never crossed my mind and there is absolutely no need for any type of apology. I get carried away sometimes and I just wanted to make sure that you knew I might be wrong, especially if he lives way up toward Canada.

The location of this sighting is near Saratoga Springs, NY. This is not far from the Adirondack Mountains, and I had seen some big wolves back in those mountains. That was years ago, when I was young and could climb them.. LOL :D

Hey guys, jpbaker reported "If it is a wolf it will be the first one shot here in New Brunswick, CA since 1876." Indeed it is big enough to be a grey wolf or a prairie wolf but isn't on par with our Alaskan wolves. There was GPS collared Idaho wolf that cut through Oregon and was tracked into central California last winter. It was a medium sized grey but like I said, it was wearing a collar the last I heard.

Hey guys, jpbaker reported "If it is a wolf it will be the first one shot here in New Brunswick, CA since 1876." Indeed it is big enough to be a grey wolf or a prairie wolf but isn't on par with our Alaskan wolves. There was GPS collared Idaho wolf that cut through Oregon and was tracked into central California last winter. It was a medium sized grey but like I said, it was wearing a collar the last I heard. Nice pelt, Billygun)

My guess it that the OP's picture is probably coyote-wolf hybrid. I just wish the picture showed the paws better. The way I try to tell the difference between wolves and coyotes is by looking at the paw's shape. Coyote's have more pointed paws while wolves and dogs have more rounded paws. However the tail looks a bit off for a coyote's. Also since this is a side shot I can't even use face shape to help determine the species.

I would not be surprised if it was a hybrid since wolf-coyote hybrids are very possible. I have read a report of confirmed cases of "coywolfs" in eastern Massachusetts. If wolves and coyotes are crossbreeding there, their probably crossbreeding wherever their territories overlap.

If you find out the results please tell us. I'd like to hear it.

It was shot in Caraquet New Brunswick. This is the first proof of a Wolf in over 100 years in good old N.B.

PICT1654.jpg

A female coyote I shot a couple years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.