Wolf or Coyote???

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by jpbaker, Apr 15, 2012.

1. jpbaker

jpbaker Well-Known Member

This hit the news recently here.

Apparently a hunter shot a "coyote" and when he went to check it out, it was to large. Its running 86lbs, and going for DNA testing to confirm suspicions of a wolf

What do you all think?

If it is a wolf it will be the first one shot here in New Brunswick, CA since 1876.

TKS
    JPB

Attached Files:

2. ShooterMedic

ShooterMedic Well-Known Member

It looks like a wolf in full rigor,

But then again it also looks alot like Idaho coyotes do from the 1st of April until August 30th.:D

3. can1010

can1010 Well-Known Member

their was a story last year in new york outdoor news about a wolf coyote hybrid killed in vermont. it was dna confirmed. true or hoax dont know but biggest yote i have killed was 50lbs. deside for your self

4. threejones

threejones Well-Known Member

They look the same in Montana too... but for an extra month or two :D. Seriously though, I'd say that's definately a wolf (or a half breed). They're spreading from MT, ID, and WY a heck of a lot faster than they were expected to.

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

WOLF. I Have shot over 250 coyotes in az and a bunch on ca. . wolf.

6. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

coyote, if I recall the ears are round with a wolf and pointed with a coyote and the face looks more like a coyote than a wolf. But I haven't shot a wolf only alot of coyotes for 20+ years. Back when you had to get your calls mail order is when I got hooked on coyote hunting.

Brent

7. Muttt

Muttt Well-Known Member

I always thought that if the front feet are larger than the rear feet, then it is a coyote. If the feet are the same size, then it's a dog or wolf.

But, I could be wrong.

8. Magnumitis

Magnumitis Well-Known Member

Looks wolfish to me.

9. hunterbob

hunterbob Well-Known Member

My cousin caught this wolf on a trail cam in back of his house in NY. When I grew up in that area there wasn't any coy dogs, or wolves in the 60's....

I hear that Texas A&M has found that coyotes have wolf DNA that they have tested.

CDY_0045.jpg

10. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

hunterbob---Those appear to be yotes, not wolves, and they are in their prime winter coats in that picture, which makes them look even bigger than they actuallyare! Up here in the northern states the yotes seem to get a lot bigger than those in Texas and I've shot quite a few down in the brush country south of San Antonio.

11. Topgun 30-06

This is a coyote and looks very similar to the picture you posted.

Attached Files:

12. hunterbob

Topgun,
    Well, that's what I thought too, but my cousin insists that its a wolf, because of the howling he hears at night, not a coyote bark or coyote howl, he says. I crossed referenced pictures of this animal, and I thought it to be a wolf too. He also says the coyotes look different from this picture, in his area. He definitely hears wolves howling at night not coyotes. Gary is an experienced and seasoned hunter in the North woods. It may be a hybrid, but I'm not sure.

13. Topgun 30-06

With the snow on the ground he should be able to tell just from the size of the track they're leaving. This is a wolf track out where we hunt in Wyoming and a coyote track is easily covered with the palm of your hand. It's a much smaller track than in this picture. PS: I did change my initial post as it sounded bad!

Attached Files:

14. hunterbob

Elkoholic307

At first I said coyote and we had a discussion, He said, the size and color of the face and nose, is wider than a coyotes. A coyote's face is more pointed than the wolf; and the fur around his head has a layered color more like a wolf. I did my own comparison and came to the same conclusion, as he then. Who knows, it may be a hybrid.

Topgun thinks it's a coyote and may be right.... But I know that the grass in the picture, is waist high, so I'm saying 3 ft high grass. The yotes I have shot have had a pointed nose like the picture Topgun has, and at times from a 200 yd distance they looked like a wolf to me, but they were not.