Witch 338

PEEWEE69

Ok back to the drawing board was planning on building a 30-378 wthby but then I got to looking at the 338 I'm thinking it would be a better choice but I mite be wrong .If I do go the 338 route witch one and why all input and suggestions appreciated

Well first thing is what your intentions with this build? Range you plan to shoot and animals you plant to hunt with.
338 RUM
338 Lapua
338 Edge
These three seem to be the most popular and all are in about the same ballistic range.

Witch 338

Based on 500 Rimless Jefferies
~135 grains of capacity

Attachments

• Wictch338.jpg
    Wictch338.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 52
Well first thing is what your intentions with this build? Range you plan to shoot and animals you plant to hunt with.
338 RUM
338 Lapua
338 Edge
These three seem to be the most popular and all are in about the same ballistic range.

Plan's are a 1k yrds paper puncher and a 500 plus elk gun

Plan's are a 1k yrds paper puncher and a 500 plus elk gun

Hell, you can do that with a .300 WinMag....Just ask Jeff Broz. I'm serious.

I built a .300 Ackley earlier this year, and if I can get my Berger 210 VLD load around 3,000-3,100 fps I should be able to knock some fairly sizeable animals down out to 1,500 yards. And barrel life should be about equal with a .300 Weatherby Mag. :D

Never heard of a "Witch 338" before...

:cool:

You ***..... you beat me to the punch! :D

OP- with just targets to 1000 & poking elk to 500, I'm not sure a .338 is needed. A big 30 will do either of those with relative ease. Now, if you want a .338, by all means roll on I'll even help encourage you!

As shown before the RUM, Edge & Lapua are arguably the most popular but there is a myriad of others from the lowly (tongue in cheek) .338 Win mag to the Lapua improved to the Lazzeroni Titan to the Allan Magnum etc, etc, etc.

Keep in mind, as caliber goes up, so too does the price.

t

For what your wanting I'd definitely throw in the 338 Norma mag, some of what a guy would choose will hinge on the action your wanting to use. What your wanting is pretty modest so I'd go a 338 Norma on a custom action, loads of barrel life and precision shooting in it!!

You ***..... you beat me to the punch! :D

OP- with just targets to 1000 & poking elk to 500, I'm not sure a .338 is needed. A big 30 will do either of those with relative ease. Now, if you want a .338, by all means roll on I'll even help encourage you!

As shown before the RUM, Edge & Lapua are arguably the most popular but there is a myriad of others from the lowly (tongue in cheek) .338 Win mag to the Lapua improved to the Lazzeroni Titan to the Allan Magnum etc, etc, etc.

Keep in mind, as caliber goes up, so too does the price.

t

I am a big time 338 guy. I have a Lapua and a win mag, but I have owned or shot most of the options out there. I had my lapua build probably 5 years ago and it shoots amazing but its an expensive thing to get into. The cace is too bog for some standard reloading tools so I had to buy a few new tool to reload with. Lapua brass is amazing and I love it. I dont use that rifle much anymore but thats only because I have too many other projects going on. The 338 win Probably isnt the best bet for steel at 1000 but I have killed an elk at 880 yards with it no problem. This year I used it to take a bull at 516 yards. its a very common easy to load for power house. All things considered if I could only have one 338 I would sell them both and build a 8-9 lb 338 RUM its a perfect balance of powder:horsepower. Easy to load for, feeds great, fits the 700 action perfectly.

Good catch BNG, I completely forgot about the Norma. It still isn't very prevalent in my circle but an excellent choice nonetheless.

Mike, I hear you loud & clear. I had a choice & still have my RUM :)

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.