witch is the best

col48

i am setting up for long range.
what is the best way to do it.
(1) to have bullet drop compensator's for drop and windage.
(2) to just use BDC for drop
(3) mill dot or similar
(4) a mixture of both.
(5) a BDC calibrated to your rifle

or is there a better way.
what are your pros and cons of both,???????????
i have a range finder
what ways do you lot do it?????????
thanks
Colin

BDC reticles are always wrong, even if they are calibrated to your rifle. In long range shooting there are way to many variables for a preconfigured reticle to be perfect. This is not to say they wont be close, they are just not close enough for me plus range is usually limited to 600yards.

As far as mil dot scopes go, if you plan to use it for hold overs, then mil dot is not the way to go. You would want to use something along the lines of NP-R2. Problems do exits with this technique though. The first being that you must make sure the reticle is level so that you are actually holding directly over your target. Another is that most scopes are second focal plane and the reticle will only be calibrated for one magnification. If you have a scope that is first focal plane then your reticle will appear to change size and should be correct at all magnifications but this is not always ideal either because at low magnifications the dashes will get very close and bunched up in the middle.

To me the best way to do it is to turn turrets. Shoot a lot and practice in different conditions and produce a charts for yourself and gun. Haveing said this I like to combine this technique with a reticle like the NP-R2 for follow up shots. Often if you are long range shooting with wind or other difficult circumstances then a sighter shot may be neccesary of if you are shooting at varmits then then you can go with the educated guess from your charts and watch for the impact. Then for a fast follow up shot use the reticle to make the minor adjustment.

First thing you should do is ask yourself exactly how far you are wanting to shoot. IF you are a hunter just looking to extend your range out to 500 or 600 yds then a BDC should work pretty good. Much farther than 500yds and their are just too many variables.

Many people use the Mil Dot or TMR or NP-R2 style reticles and have great luck with them. I like a little cleaner sight picture but these reticles definanlty work well.

I personnally use turret adjustment. I feel that this is the most precise way to adjust and it just the way I got started.

I would say that the BDC reticles and pre set turrets are the least effective for Long Range (500yds +) If you are just wanting to extend your hunting range a little then they will work fine. If you are wanting to thump small targets at long range then either use turrets or a mil dot style reticle

good luck
steve

i have a 8 x 32 x 56 nxs with np2dd ret for my fox and varmint gun 243 AI custom nesika.and the trimmings.

4 x 14 x 50 vx111 30mm illuminated fine duplex.with stony point BDC turret.on 270 wsm custom as above.
this is the scope i am unsure about.but would like your opinions on both.
so if i make my self a drop and windage chart for them and dial the corrections this should be the best method.
i am looking to eventually shoot 600y and maybe above.and as it will be eventually on live game i would like to learn the best way and most accurate.i don't mind changing scopes if this is necessary,and i am not bothered about cost,as i would like to do it right first time.
thanks for your help.
Colin.

[ QUOTE ]
i am setting up for long range. what is the best way to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are well on your way to shooting LR with the gear you mentioned.

Hold overs and BDC reticles have their place and several folks here use them with great results. I will chime in here by saying that you might rarely shoot over a level surface so BDCs will leave you wanting at the longer ranges because they are not calibrated for shots up and down inclines (to the best of my knowledge). My humble opinion is that if you want to do it right and be able to adjust your point of aim in precise 1/4 moa increments then you should add an angle cosine indicator to your gear and get real close and snuggly with a good ballistics program. Then when you learn how to opperate you scope in an efficient manner you can also start confirming the calculated drops from the program with real trigger time. This is what you should build your best field charts from. This is what I believe is the best way to get the longest usable range from your equipment as far as this topic is concerned. There is of course your shooting technique and the quality of your cartridges to consider.

There is of course your shooting technique and the quality of your cartridges to consider.

i am using Norma brass and consider the rest of my reloading gear to be of good quality,comp redding dies rockchucker supreme press and the like.whether my loading can match the gear remains to be seen.(my last factory rifle 270 wsm tikka t 3 was loaded to 1/2in and under @ 100y most of the time it shot way under.this is of a bench with sand bag at the rear,and Harris pod front.)
would i be better of getting a scope with target turrets on from new or send my scope of and have some put on.? or are the stony point ones OK for the job.
as i have said i am interested in doing it right first time,as with the intention being to shoot live game i fell it is the only way to do it.
i have quick load as my ballistics program,and have been getting to grips with it for a bit.
thanks
col.

PS,any other item's or info that might be of help will be much appreciated,Evan if it is simple to you it might not yet be to me.i will take a look at the angle cosine indicator.i think i have seen them before,
thanks again
Colin.

I agree with 4ked Horn on this one factory target turrets are the way to go. if you send your VXIII 4.5x14 back to Leupold they will install them at a fair price and have your scope on your doorstep in less than 2 weeks.
UB
buy the way how are you 4key???? we have not chatted in a while

I'm doing well. I have been thinking about your trip here last year alot lately. The weather is getting warmer and the sun is out more. The chucks are coming out too. I saw one the other day while I was sitting in my work van. The little bugger was about 20 feet off the road standing with his front feet on the intersecting railroad track. I was freaking out because he was HUGE and there was no gun in sight.

I sent Jim an Email recently about a top secret project I'm working on. It involves finding a source for 3.5" diameter nylon washers. He didn't know where Roland got his but if you know please relay this to me (or any ideas on where I might start looking.)

Did you read my post in Long Range Hunting under "Latest hunting gimic tool thingy". It is one of my better replies but I'll warn you, put down your drink before you do. Oh, take a look at the link before you read the replies. It will make more sence.

How have you been? You seemed to vanish after you got the LSOTY award. Takin' a breather or are you just gearing up for this years chuck hatch? Ya'll thinking of coming this way in spring?

thanks for the help chaps,
with me being in the UK,i think i will trade it in.
which do you think is the best way to go,
IE make and model, and type of ret,
thanks again
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.