Winchester vs. Remington Brass

Moman, don't wast your time with Remington or Winchester brass. Spend the money on Norma Brass. Norma brass will;

1. Allow you to shoot higher pressure loads for higher velocity and better performance.

2. Allow for less time prepping brass.

3. Last longer, you get about 9 to 10 firings with Norma 270 WSM. You will only get about 3 to 4 firings with Winchester or Remington brass before it turns to junk.

4. Allow your rifle to shoot more accurately.

5. Much better consistancy

I am not saying Remington or Winchester wont work, it will, just not as good as Norma Brass. If you use Remington or Winchester brass, you will have to spend a bunch of time, cleaning necks, uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, trimming, ect.

Remington and Winchester have been falling down on the QC (Quality Control). I would highly recommend Norma Brass, and I bet you will get much better results. Sure, it's going to cost more up front but it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run.

You can get Norma 270 WSM Brass, at MidwayUSA, for $94.00 for a box of 100. I know it's $40.00 more than the Winchester or Remington brass, but it's worth it.

W.

Of the two options the winchester is the better of the two , depending on what your wanting the brass to do their are better options.
for the 300 Winchester , Lapua cost about $1.50 a piece but it'll last the life of the barrel and its absolutly the best available , zero case prep is needed.

For the 270 WSM , while Norma brass is very consistant its very expensive and if you run anyplace close to top end pressures it won't last 5 reloads due to being very soft. You can buy 300 pieces of Winchester brass sort it out , match prep it and you'll end up 100 pieces of great brass , the only other thing that you will need to do it aneal the necks or they'll start to split after 4-5 reloads.

Brass

I use alot of both and IMO they are about equal in quality. Both produce about the same case life and both provide excellent accuracy for cheap brass.

Good Luck

Reloader

Thanks guys. I've been hearing that the Winchester is the better of the two, but wanted some opinions from this site. Wildcat, I am going to look into better brass as well. I may just at least try it in one caliber to compare. Thanks.

I don't know about Norma or Lapua brass, but I have been getting 15 to 20 reloads with my Remington brass for 25-06 and 30-06 . These have been fairly hot loads too , not seeing any split necks. End up throwing them away when the primer pocket seems to get loose when seating primers. I have been full length resizing every 5 loads, otherwise just neck sizing. Bought once fired brass for 0.10/each. It took a little time to uniform primer pockets,deburr flash holes and trim, but I figured I would have to do that anyway even if I had bought new brass. So far I have had good luck with Remington brass.

what James Jones said!

About Remington Cases:

Trueblue, I bet if you put your fairly hot Remington Case load in a Winchester Case you'll find that its not nearly as "hot".

Winchester cases are several grains lighter thus several grains more powder capacity. Thus you can milk more velocity out of the Winnie cases than the Remmy cases.

Even with top end loads in a 270 Win (140 gr bullet at 3200) winchester cases last for greater than 15 reloads with no annealing or anything else. Accuracy between the two pieces of brass is about equal. I can just get more velocity out of the Winnie brass.

Roy and JD have it right. If I cant find lapua I go with Winchester. Other than the amount of case prep work there is nothing wrong with win brass.

Lots of great info! Roy, how did you get that kind of velocity out of a 270 Win? I remember reading another one of your posts about this, that's great velocity in that caliber.

I know the first batch of Winchester 270 WSM brass I used I got about 5 reloadings before the primer pockets opened up enough that I decided to scrap them. These were below max loads but this could have just been a soft batch of brass. I'm trying Rem. brass this time to see if it lasts any longer. I usually go with Winchester brass when possible. The Lapua brass is nice and that what I shoot in my 6.5-284 but the price may make me go back to Winchester.
As far as Norma be able to take more pressure, in my experience this has been just the opposite. I started with 40 cases each of Norma, Lapua, and Winchester when I started loading for my 6.5-284. Case capacities where very close although I don't remember the exact numbers. Velocities and ES's were the same and the group sizes were also. I know the Norma brass would show pressure signs way before the Lapua or the Winchester would. I decided on the max load for the Norma case for all three cases and I started shooting them. I would load all the cases of one kind and fire all them and move the next brand. The Norma cases gave up first with head seperation after 5 reloadings. I got 2 more reloadings out of the Lapua and the Winchester brass than the Norma. After 7 reloadings on the Lapua and the Winchester I started seeing the shinny head seperation rings and I called it quits. So my take on the matter is the Norma is not worth it. If you don't like case prep them buy the Lapua, but in most cases the Winchester brass will do just fine for a lot less money.

David

brass

if lapua is available i use it. 300 win , 243 30-06, 222; 6.5-284 it is costs a little more but it is worth it . i use nosler with the 7mmrem.

Moman, don't wast your time with Remington or Winchester brass. Spend the money on Norma Brass. Norma brass will;

1. Allow you to shoot higher pressure loads for higher velocity and better performance.

2. Allow for less time prepping brass.

3. Last longer, you get about 9 to 10 firings with Norma 270 WSM. You will only get about 3 to 4 firings with Winchester or Remington brass before it turns to junk.

4. Allow your rifle to shoot more accurately.

5. Much better consistancy

I am not saying Remington or Winchester wont work, it will, just not as good as Norma Brass. If you use Remington or Winchester brass, you will have to spend a bunch of time, cleaning necks, uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, trimming, ect.

Remington and Winchester have been falling down on the QC (Quality Control). I would highly recommend Norma Brass, and I bet you will get much better results. Sure, it's going to cost more up front but it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run.

You can get Norma 270 WSM Brass, at MidwayUSA, for $94.00 for a box of 100. I know it's $40.00 more than the Winchester or Remington brass, but it's worth it.

W.
Can I just add one thing,I don't want to tread on anybodies toes,the 'higher pressure loads' are in fact a fallacy,the reason you can add more powder is because of larger case capacity,not because the brass withstands more pressure!
My tests have shown Norma brass to have from 6grs-10grs more capacity than either Remington or Winchester brass.
That said,it is extremely good brass,and it does last longer!
On a side note,I bought Nosler custom brass in this cartridge,and it was a waste of time/money,it's way too soft,ejector marks with starting loads!
I'm glad I dropped my charges back,and tested from the start loads,I don't know what would've happened if I didn't!
MagnumManiac
gun)

Lots of great info! Roy, how did you get that kind of velocity out of a 270 Win? I remember reading another one of your posts about this, that's great velocity in that caliber.

58.5 gr RL-22 Seated as long as the Mauser action will allow. 27" Lilja barrel.

Use full lenght resize die but size only about 2/3rds of the neck. Need all the volume you can get.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.