270 WSM Winchester vs Norma brass

ForneyRider

All the load data, except for Norma, uses Winchester brass as a component for 270 WSM. I am concerned that the Norma brass will significantly change my loads. Has anyone weighed or water capacity checked WSM brass?

I've used both and at first thought that I was over preasure when I switched to the norma brass. My bolt was way past stickey, but it only became stickey after about two hundred rounds. I have since found out that my titanium action has started to gall. So long story short I saw about 25 fps diff on my ohler 35p chrono which tells me they must be pretty close in capacity. The primer pockets seem to hold up better in the norma brass than the win.

I have weighed them but can not remember what it was, I ran the same loads in Norma,Rem and Win brass with no difference seen except that the Norma is higher quality but won't handle a lot of movement in the brass. If I had a tight chamber and headspace I would run the Norma, other wise run the Rem brass. The Win just sucked, primer pockets had to be worked over just to get a primer in them then I had to do a lot of work to get them working good and then they failed early.

I have several load data sources.

MAX R22 for 130gr is 65 for Nosler Data, 66 for Alliant, and 68 for Lyman and Shooting Times article. I think they all were using Winchester.

In Norma's data, they give different loads for 300 Win Mag for heavy and light brass.

Much Thanks!

Last edited:
I have loaded the 270WSM for a number of years using Winchester, Norma, and Remington brass. The Norma brass is by far the best. It is more uniform and durable than any brass that I have used in my 270WSM. The Norma brass in heavier than the others and it has slightly less capacity. You will not notice a great deal of difference unless you are at max load using Win and you load the same amount of powder in the Norma brass. Work up your load with the Norma brass and you will be very happy with it. I have some brass that I have loaded 10 times or more and the primer pockets are still not loose.

I have loaded the 270WSM for a number of years using Winchester, Norma, and Remington brass. The Norma brass is by far the best. It is more uniform and durable than any brass that I have used in my 270WSM. The Norma brass in heavier than the others and it has slightly less capacity. You will not notice a great deal of difference unless you are at max load using Win and you load the same amount of powder in the Norma brass. Work up your load with the Norma brass and you will be very happy with it. I have some brass that I have loaded 10 times or more and the primer pockets are still not loose.

Hey Shortmagman, your prowess and reputation as a handloader keeps gettin better from all the news I here from Mphstigerfan. Congrats on the .09? group with the Bergers! I never did ask him what brass you were using for the 300wsm. Is it Norma also?
I have been using Federal brass so far (not too impressed), and just bought some Winchester brass from Tikamike, but I may have to give Norma a look.

Winmag,

Thanks for the kind words. However, I don't know if they are deserved.

The answer is yes. I have used Norma brass for my WSM calibers for years. The groups that I have shot with almost all my short mags have been shot with Norma brass. It is expensive but it is worth the extra cost.

I'm going to switch back to Norma brass with the new barrel and chamber I'm getting, it will be tighter and I think the Norma will be awesome in it. My current factory chamber is a little large and the head space was long, the Norma failed in 3 firings and the Win in 8 and the Rem hadn't failed in 18 so in my factory tube I have to stay with the Rem.
Have any of you seen the primer hole of center in Norma WSM brass, I had a 50% that were of center but it didn't seem to affect the accuracy. I did shoot better more consistent groups with the Norma.

Do you mean that the primers did not sit in the center of the case head? Or the flash holes in the center of the pocket. I guess I never looked to see if the primer pocket was centered. The only brass that I have used that the flash holes are centered in is lapua brass that I've noticed anyway.

The flash holes were off set in the primer pocket, far enough you could look at them and it looked wierd, the rest have been centered.

Well, 65gr of R22 and Norma brass with 130gr Accubond came out to 3050 fps. Which was about 200fps slower than the Winchester Supreme Elite 130gr Ballistic SilverTips. Going to pull the rest of the bullets and add 3 more grains and try again. I am at 2.76in COL and use CCI 250 primers.

Winchester offers the 140gr Accubond in factory ammo, but not the 130gr.

I am beginning to think Nosler data must use the fastest barrels ever made, their 6th book says 65gr is max at nearly 3400fps. 64.5gr of R22 is min load in Lyman 49th data at 3200fps, and they post 68gr as max.

Win mdl 70 Super grade was a joy to shoot. Recoil was much less than any comparable rifle I have shot.

Carter Country in Houston has ton of powder, bullets, and primers. Powder is a bit cheaper than recent, bullets slightly more. Primers are 38$ for 1000.

I finally looked at the flash holes and they are all centered really well.

As far as velocity goes you might try magpro powder it will probably be faster than just about any other powder out there.

I made up some batches from 66-68gr in .5gr increments. The 65gr R22 loaded brass and primers look great. Now to find time to shoot again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.