Winchester M70 .30 US

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by .30US, Sep 22, 2009.

1. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

I've been working on this for about three years. I always wanted a Winchester Model 70, but loved my issued bolt rifle, so I thought I would blend the two. .30-06 isn't the most competitive or trendy long-range caliber anymore, but a lot of great shooting has been done with the caliber and I'm partial to it. This started as a post-'64 Winchester Stealth .270. I still have a little work left to do, such as break it in and get the action nice and smooth from use, replace the trigger, and refinish in Birdsong Green-T. With the 20 MOA base, I found that I need to add a strap-on cheekpiece for better cheek weld. Weight is about 14.5lbs.; right on target with my beloved M40A1.

Post-'64 Win 70 action (squared)
    PAC-NOR Super Match 25" polygonal-rifled 1:10 barrel (marked "30 US")
    McMillan HTG glass bedded stock
    Williams one-piece steel floorplate (Melonited along with the action screws)
    Wichita Engineering sling swivels (Melonited)
    Farrell Ind 20MOA steel scope base
    VTAC steel 35mm low rings
    IOR Valdada 3-18X42mm first focal plane scope

[​IMG]

2. HUAINAMACHERO

HUAINAMACHERO Well-Known Member

Very nice rifle, I am a big fan of Winchester Mod 70.
    Keep us posted in your progress, and please post your shooting results.

3. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Dang nice rifle, I like the VietNam era look of it all. COngrats.

4. sandzzzzz

sandzzzzz Member

its a great rifle, i like to own one myself, but still in process of it, congrats and happy shootinggun)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for getting my scope down lower to the bore axis? I'm already using IOR VTAC 35mm low rings. It just seems too high still, and I would prefer not to have to worry about a cheekpiece. Thanks.

6. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

Nice rifle....

7. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

look at the nightforce 20moa rail and low badger rings. that's what I have for my model 70 and the scope sits pretty low.

8. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

Thanks. I ordered the NF 20 MOA base and will check it out when I get back home in a few weeks.

9. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Im in love! But I am kinda partial to Model 70's of all calibers.
    Yours sounds FUN to shoot, and I like someone goin against the grain and going for the standard 30 vs a big magnum. Kinda cool! Nice pics thanks for sharing.

10. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. I hope to pick up the bolt from a gunsmith buddy the next time I get back that way (couple more months) so I can get behind this M70 and send some lead downrange. Somehow, the safety became stuck in the off position; apparently, it is a common problem with the Model 70 when the firing pin moves out of place and the safety cannot pivot through a groove in the pin.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  11. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

Made it home to visit this weekend and took at look at the NF base. It is about half the height of my Farrell Ind. base, so it should definitely help. Thanks for the recommendation.

12. loaders_loft

loaders_loft Well-Known Member

no problem, I figured that would help out...

13. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Ive found while taking apart the bolt to clean the pin, and spring it can be a real BEAR to put back together if the safety slips. But Ive never experienced the safety sticking ever while shooting or in the field.
    What happened and how did you fix it?

14. .30US

.30US Well-Known Member

It sat in my safe for months and months between stages while building. I dropped the bolt off at a gunsmith buddy's a couple months ago, and am hoping he has the problem fixed when I get home in a couple months. I have a hunt in South Texas in late April and really am hoping to break the barrel in on this rifle and get it zeroed in time to take it.