Winchester M70 .30 US

Thanks for the reply, Let us know what he has to say about it. Im interested now as I own many Model -70 Winchesters, and want to know what signs to look for and how to correct it

Thanks for the reply, Let us know what he has to say about it. Im interested now as I own many Model -70 Winchesters, and want to know what signs to look for and how to correct it

As I understand it from my research online, the safety rides in a notch in the firing pin; occasionally, the firing pin moves too far forward and prevents the safety from being able to rotate. I probably could have fixed it by using a punch through the firing pin hole, but I figured there is bound to be a better way to do it without flattening the front of the firing pin.

NDNorm,
Great looking M70!

Oh ya, way better to consult a smith. You did right. Have you ever taken the bolt apart? I put the safety in midle position, and un-screw the back, just behund the bolt handle. theres a ''button'' you need to press on for your first 2 revolutions, and PRAY you dont bump the dang safety tang to the fire position. Its a real bear to screw it back in with all that tension. Maybe something like a ''burr'' inside the bolt? Wonder what caused it to stick? And so far out? strange.....

No, I have never taken a Model 70's bolt apart. I knew the safety had to be in the center position, but when I couldn't budge it, I decided to pass it to my buddy who has a lot more experience with them. I figured it was either caused by a burr or gummed up from factory oil or something. I've never fired the rifle since it has been a build project between all of my work travels.

.30US, very nice looking rig. Someone previously mentioned NAM era I agree, subtle camo contrast looks good.

30US, what can you tell us about your experience with Birdsong Green-T / Black-T coatings? You spawned my interest, now I'm thinking about coating my model 70 also.

I don't have any of my own firearms coated by Birdsong, yet. I'm hoping to drop my wife's 1911 off there in the near future. Mine won't be going that direction until I've had a chance to break it in and smooth out the action from some use. Right now, she is still unfired, but I'm hoping to remedy that as soon as I can get the bolt back from the gunsmith.

Little bit of an update: Toured the Birdsong facility last week. Great people; my rifle will definitely be going that way once it is well-used.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.