Winchester 7MM STW 160 grain fail safe

ricky b

I'm a hoarder when it comes to ammo and especially what ammo my gun likes. Years ago I purchased a winchester model 70 7mmSTW and this is my go to gun. Even when I shoot with some friends for bragging rights this gun is on the firing line. I bought 25 boxes of the Winchester 160 grain fail safe ammo. I also read where Winchester used a lot of powder that they sell to us reloaders in their factory ammo. Anybody have a clue what Winchester powder they used in this ammo. It is with nikel plated brass.

I'm a hoarder when it comes to ammo and especially what ammo my gun likes. Years ago I purchased a winchester model 70 7mmSTW and this is my go to gun. Even when I shoot with some friends for bragging rights this gun is on the firing line. I bought 25 boxes of the Winchester 160 grain fail safe ammo. I also read where Winchester used a lot of powder that they sell to us reloaders in their factory ammo. Anybody have a clue what Winchester powder they used in this ammo. It is with nikel plated brass.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they used WXR when they were loading those rounds. I actually have two boxes of that same ammo. Those 160 Fail safes are hammers on deer. They don't run any more!!!!

7stw what bullet are they using?

Those bullets are exactly what they say they are, 160 grain fail safes. They were made by " combined technology" which is a joint effort between Winchester and nosler. They are awesome bullets, and they work every time. They are a copper bullet on top, similar to a TSX, and the bottom, is similar to a partition. They have winchesters Lubalox coating, and if your gun will shoot them, life is good. Now, you can not buy them, except in some older factory ammo. They replaced it with a tipped version of what appears to be the same configuration, except it is a tipped bullet, but it is bot avail as a component that you can buy. Enjoy those bullets!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.