Fail Safe Bullets???

I have yet to see this bullet mentioned on this wonderful site. I always thought it would be the perfect bullet for high velocity cartiages.

I am getting ready to spring for some bullets for my 7mm RUM and wonder what you guys thought of them????

Thanks

I don't believe that the FailSafe bullet is manufactured any more. Winchester is making a similar bullet, possibly an improved version of the FailSafe, which is called the XP3. (if memory serves, anyway)

I don't believe that the FailSafe bullet is manufactured any more. Winchester is making a similar bullet, possibly an improved version of the FailSafe, which is called the XP3. (if memory serves, anyway)

I just got off the phone with Midway and they did say that it has been discontinued...guess thats why noone has mentioned them.

Thanks

Yup discontinued, However the xp3 are an improved version of the fail safe.. I get boxes of them and then pull the bullets I then load them .001 off the lands and I absolutley love them. I even have expieremented with upping the powder charge a few grains. (I didnt see any improvment in my groups so I stay with factory powder charge) I do get much tighter groups pushing the out.. I think it is the best medium range big game bullet. If they would come out with a 210g 30 cal bullet with a .6 bc I would be in heavin!!

I have an ample supply of .284 Fail Safe bullets in 160gr for trade !
For
.338 225gr Part or Swift A Frames

Last edited:
Lacking the lead portion in the rear, these bullets still offer excellent performance especially in the areas where lead is banned.

1696942552082.png

Figured it was a zombie thread to even mention fail safes.

Old captain of mine thought the 160s from an stw was the equivalent of bullet Jesus, handed down from on high. They were a 2$ bullet back when that was considered expensive for loaded premium ammo.

Kinda surprised they haven't tried another 3 piece controlled expansion bullet, they sure did seem to expand consistently across almost every critter.

Figured it was a zombie thread to even mention fail safes.

Old captain of mine thought the 160s from an stw was the equivalent of bullet Jesus, handed down from on high. They were a 2$ bullet back when that was considered expensive for loaded premium ammo.

Kinda surprised they haven't tried another 3 piece controlled expansion bullet, they sure did seem to expand consistently across almost every critter.
The Fail Safe bullets especially the heavier ones is a heavy game bullet.
The 140gr in .270 and 150gr in .308 are excellent for deer at high vel. Here in Alaska the .308 in 165gr FS is excellent on moose in 308 win thru 300 win mag. It's a tough bullet that stays together very much like a solid. Even the 140gr FS in 270 Win makes a great rifle for elk and moose.
I think for the average deer hunter a less tougher bullet would serve them better. The Fail Safe bullet a great bullet but must be tailored to the game your hunting.