Winchester 223 WSSM

Kreiss

I've never owned a rifle bigger than a .22, but would like to see about getting a 223. I really like the looks and feel of the new Winchester 223 WSSM. However, I don't like the price of ammo for it. Just briefly looking around it appears you can bet on around $20 for 20 rounds. Will these cartridges ever come down in price. Also, any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

223, or 308 would be a good choice--the WSSM wnot give you enough barrel life to get the practice you need if you are just starting out.

IMO, the wssm's would be a bad starter gun. YOu need trigger time, and im guessing the bore will be gone after 1200rounds with that firebreather.

also the price would keep you from getting the trigger time you need.

JB

I agree, stick to calibers that you can practice with a lot. I would say the .223 if you are used to a .22. The .308 kicks a bit more, not a lot, but enough to cause a flinch if you aren't ready for it. .223 is super cheap, very accurate, and the guns are similarly handy as the wssm. If you are thinking about hunting that is a different story, as the .223 is a less than ideal for anything bigger than varmints. In that case, I would look at .308 or other popular calibers like .243.

Should I be looking at something different than a 223 if all I'll be doing is practice shooting and coyote hunting, but being in IL there won't be many opporturnities for shots that I've read on here over a couple hundered yards.

The straight 223 rem is perfect for coyotes to several hundred yards--300yds is cake with a 50vmax on a yodel dog--cant go wrong with the 223
wink.gif

JB

Thanks for the info...makes me feel better knowing I'm buying the right one. I'm glad I was talked out of the 223 WSSM, although I like the looks and feel. I think I would either go broke shooting it or just not shoot it much b/c of the price. I'm now looking at Savage 12 Series Varmit. Would this be a good choice? Reading through these forums seems a lot of guys like the Savage. Thanks again for the advice and please let me know what you think on the Savage.

Kreiss,

You willn't find a better gun in that price range than a savage all the 12bvss ive ever seen will shoot under 1/2" will reloads, outdoor life just did a gun test included was remington, two rugers, and the savage 12bvss, the savage was the only gun there to average under 1" with factory loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.