Win 270 Sierra vs. Hornady

kahman308

Hello all, I am currently working uo hunting loads for my 270 win. It is a river m77 mkii. I have been getting around 1.5" groups using imr4831 and hornady 130gr sst. This is good for me to 100yrds, but I can shoot further where I hunt. I want to shrink my groups, but can't get them. I like the 130gr pills, and am wondering if a simple brand switch will help shrink my groups. Although, I find it unlikely that this will happen. Any insite would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ken

Hello all, I am currently working uo hunting loads for my 270 win. It is a river m77 mkii. I have been getting around 1.5" groups using imr4831 and hornady 130gr sst. This is good for me to 100yrds, but I can shoot further where I hunt. I want to shrink my groups, but can't get them. I like the 130gr pills, and am wondering if a simple brand switch will help shrink my groups. Although, I find it unlikely that this will happen. Any insite would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ken

Ken,

I guessing you meant Ruger and you fell victim by the autocorrect nazi. :D

Try 140 NAB or 150 NBT using CCI200 or BR2 and H4831SC near the lands.

Good luck!

Ed

I'd like to try nosler, but they are a little too rich for my blood. I do quite a bit of plinking so to say with this rifle to stay familiar with it, and would like to keep cost down some. I appreciate it though.

Huh, that is surprising, I use CCI 200's. They seem to perform nice in my 308 remmy, but perhaps I will pick up some others to try. I have moved in and out of the lands, and right now I'm sitting at .020 off. Fits in the mag well.

Sierra Game Kings are very good Hunting bullets and they are super accurate. But with heart/lung shots they tend to mess up a lot of meat. I still use them in my .222Rem for Springbuck. In my .270Win and 30-06 I am using the Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady SST's for developing a load, but for the hunt on larger animals like Kudu or Blue Wildebeest I prefer loading Nosler Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds. The construction of the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Accubond is nearly identical. It is much cheaper to develop the load with the Ballistic Tips en then load the Premium Accubonds for the hunt. I have found it to be just the right medicine for larger bucks.

Nice to know once again, however has any one noticed an accuracy increase with just switching bullets?

Rugers can be tricky. What I have found with multiple Ruger rifles is that they seem to prefer some forend pressure. Try sticking a thin piece of cardboard or a folded up business card in the end of the stock and see if that helps. Also make sure that the rest of the barrel is free floated.

54 grains of H4350 and just about any 130gr bullet has shot beautifully out of every .270 I have ever tried it in.

I forgot to mention what I have done to the rifle. I have completely free floated the barrel, bedded the action, (pops out with very minimal force, I.e. no binding), and I have played with the torque on the front action screw. I have heard that the barrel may need some pressure on the forend a couple different places. I will give this a shot.

don't worry about fore-end pressure on a ruger- my 35whelen (m77 hawkeye) is shooting .15 to .3 moa free floated...

As to pills I use three bullets in my 270's. I use the 130 sierra pro hunter, the 130 nos (ab/bt- doesn't matter), and the 150 hornady sp interlock. All are sub moa pills, with the nosler edging the others out by a bit. Buying blems will knock the price of the 130 bt down to what the prime run sierra and hornady are priced at.

I have some blem 130 hornady bonded pills, but I blow them out of my tikka with mil-surp 50cal ball powder because they suck comparatively and can barely hold moa even when driven mildly. They do about 2700 fps with as much wc872 as I can get in the case (69.5 grains if I recall correctly) with a jammed bullet and a mag primer. About fitting for $8 per hundred bullets, I suppose.

Every **** **** Ruger I have had has been a double base powder rifle.
Grab a box of Nosler 130s a pound of RL 17/19/22 and a brick of CCis or WLRs and make it rain.

Every **** **** Ruger I have had has been a double base powder rifle.
Grab a box of Nosler 130s a pound of RL 17/19/22 and a brick of CCis or WLRs and make it rain.

you are 100% correct other than the cci primers.... I don't run them often....
I'd stay to fed or win for primers, with remmy and cci as fallback options if supplies are scarce.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.