150gr hornady sst in 270 win ?

ol mike

My Lee reloading book shows the 150gr sst going 3010fps w/58.5gr of re22 in a 270win.
The bc is .525.
Does anybody use this bullet on big deer ?
What's your expierence w/it close and far ?

Also has anybody been able to get 150's going that fast ?

I bought an ADL 270 w/a hs precision stock a couple of months ago and am going to start loading for it soon.
Wanting to use re22 for 25-06 & 270 .
Thanks -Mike

I shot a blacktail at 100 yd. with the 130 gr. sst out of a .270 going 3150 alot of blood shot and bullet made it in about 6" and came apart, what was left of the bullet weighed 65gr.I will never use them on deer again

I got them to 2990 with MagPro, but the higher the velocity got the more erratic the groups. Then again, this rifle will not shoot anything REAL good.

Best of luck!

Gofaster -thanks.

Sewwhat89 ,

Did you shoot any game w/it ?
Wondering if the bullet performs well at longrange now?

I've shot or seen several medium sized whitetails shot with the 130 gr. SST's.In each case ,penetration was adequate at best and tissue damage was best described as severe.I was less than impressed with their performance,but can't argue with the results-DRT.That being said I would be more comfortable with a little tougher constructed bullet on heavier animals.Almost forgot,all were shot with 270Win,velocity 3050fps.

I only shot paper. I would not hesitate to shoot anything up to and including elk with the 150 SSTs. Remember, folks are reporting lots of damaged tissue with 130s not the 150s.

I have loaded the 150's for 270 and they performed very well. I loaded them at 2900 and they were grouping under 1".
These were for a friends rem 700 and he took a Doe with them at 360 yrds and the exit hole was the size of my fist. I have not yet recovered a bullet to check retention, but terminal damage was extensive. I have shot Elk with the 150 SST in my 300 and they performed well, but I had to back off Max loads to gain accuracy by quite a bit. The nosler BTip performed much better for me at high velocities.
Stacy

I was going to use this bullet in my .270 for longer range shooting. I was using 57.5g RL-22 or h-4831sc, velocity was 2950-3000fps out of my 22" bbl, and accuracy was pretty good, around 3/4 moa for my rem 700. I sold the rifle and never got a chance to use them on anything, but I would think they would be a hammer for deer. They seemed to hit pretty hard even out at 800 yards. IF you find an accurate load, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I have not been impressed with the SST. I tried the 130's in my .270 and could not get them to group well. I used the 95 grain SST in my .243 to take a whitetail buck, but the bullet punched right through the chest, with no sign of expansion. I also shot a small hog, running. The bullet went through one hindquarter and lodged against the bone on the other side. The point of the bullet was bent, but not expanded at all...no excessive expansion like others have reported.

By the way, a 150-grain Partition chrono's in my .270 at around 2930 fps with 54.0 grains IMR 4350.

I used the 150 sst in a 270wsm at about 3000fps to kill an elk. The shot was about 75 yards broadside and behind the shoulder. The elk turned around at the shot and I shot again at which time he went down and died. Both shots were pass throughs.

papa45 ,

That's some odd expansion for sure w/a 130gr bullet.

I ran the numbers and the 140 accubond w/.496bc vs 150 sst w/.525bc.
Figuring the accubond at 100fps fasters it's basically a toss up out to 800yds.
I'll shoot these up then go to the expensive accubonds for big deer.
A friend gave me 300 speer 130gr spitzers and 200 speer 100gr hp's,so i've got a lot of shooting to do.

I've found the 150 sst to be the most accurate bullet in my 28" barreled Browning 1885 high wall, but only with H1000 @64gr. A very compressed load, not sure of the velocity but groups are consistantly .625" @100yds and .875" @200yds. The wound chanels look just like any other bullet I've ever tried, and I've tried just about everything.

Hey Mike,
I use the 140's in my 270. 56.4 grains of rl19 produces 3100 fps. This isn't max, it's where the rifle shoots best. .3" groups. Unfortunately, I have yet to use it on game.

I was thinking I could use this bullet interchangeably with the 140 accubond. Bc on those is .496. The sst's are half price. This would let me shoot an inexpensive bullet at targets, and a bonded bullet at game.

I have yet to test this theory. Honestly, I'll most likely try the sst on game first. Just food for thought. Maybe somebody else has tried this.

I use the SST in my 270 win I do shoot big game they are on of the best hunting projectiles I think. I use the 150 gr, the have rapid expansion at the start and hold up well as they slow down, wouldn't recommend any thing lither on big game/

:longest kill shot: 250 yds
:speed i'm running em at 2825fps with 52 gr of AR2209
:ave group size 2cm/under one moa. at 100yds

they will kill a rabbit and much larger game then deer ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.