WILLIS DIE

Scooterbum

Can anyone tell me what their before and after web dimensions are utilizing this collet die? Many thanks.

It reduces that area to around .510". The before depends on the chamber it was fired in, how many times and how hot a load.

One great thing about the die is the honed gauge. Drop a resized case into the gauge to see if you need to use the collet. It will show you the exact area where your die is not sizing.

If you have a case that needs the collet die, YOU could measure it. You seem to be in the hypothetical. What are you are trying to figure out?

There is a lot if discussion about belted cases being problematic. I'd like to find this problem.

It's going to completely depend on your chamber and shooting at what point or if you'll need a Willis die. If it was a tight chamber you may need it at .512 or you may need it at .015, it's dependant on the chamber and reloading practices.

Okay, makes more sense. A lot of factory chambers and many customs are cut with reamers that allow the case to over expand in loose chambers. Many dies have trouble resizing the area directly above the belt. So after a few firings, the case is hard or impossible to chamber. The collet die resizes all the way to the belt.

I run several belted magnums, cut with match chambers and use a Redding body die for resizing. I do not have any problems with this setup. In previous factory belted mags, I used the Willis collet die, when needed.

I have one of these Larry Willis dies. They are designed to be used after the case is full length sized. If the area just north of the belt is expanded to the point of causing hard chambering and your regular sizing die does not reduce this area enough, this is when you use this die. I find that mine works real good, but I only use it when I need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.