Will truing or blueprinting an action increase accuracy that much?

I have a rem 700 lr in 30-06. I would suggest a few things first - you can bed the barrel yourself - cost me $5.00 of JB weld and a can of Pam spray on the barrel, took about 30 minutes total. watch videos from gunwerks at youtube. 2. get a good in-lb. torque wrench set from Wheeler in a scope mount kit for about $100.00. 3. I bought a Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage trigger for about $150.00 online - it is worth it's weight in gold! All of these are relatively cheap and easy upgrades. 4. If you want to do more, I bought a Vortex 6-24x FFP scope, just under $1,000.00. Many people say it is as good as a Nightforce for half the price. 5. I found federal TC1 180 gr factory ammo shoots great - the plastic ballistic tip bullets are awesome - try a few different brands.. 6. my gun shoots better dirty - I don't always clean it - (use a fouling shot first). Honestly, the rifle is probably better than me! oh, and practice, practice, practice... using real world condition - shooting sticks, not bench rest!

The Vortex is good but NOT as good as the Nightforce. Me personally don't like the FFP scope. A lot of shooters do. Each to their own.

The Vortex is good but NOT as good as the Nightforce. Me personally don't like the FFP scope. A lot of shooters do. Each to their own.
Roger that and DO NOT bed the barrel. There's a reason every bench gun's barrel is free floated, consistent accuracy at any temp. Bed that barrel and shoot three shots out of a 7RM sporter barrel and you'll have a shotgun group at 100 yards.

Roger that and DO NOT bed the barrel. There's a reason every bench gun's barrel is free floated, consistent accuracy at any temp. Bed that barrel and shoot three shots out of a 7RM sporter barrel and you'll have a shotgun group at 100 yards.
Not sure what you mean by "bed the barrel"?? I used JB weld at the front tang attachment point where the pocket in the stock was overly large - filled it in so it was snug and smooth. The barrel is "free floated" past this attachment point which is at the front of the breech chamber. you can easily slip in a dollar bill to check. help me understand what you mean. thanks, mike.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned the glass you put on the rifle. The gun is no better than the glass. If you can't see it clearly and your glass stay true it does not matter if you have the best gun in the world. I see it every day. People have 5 & 6 thousand dollar rifles built then put A 3 or 4 hundred dollar scope on it and can't see past 400 yards without distortion in the glass. Here is A 10 shot group at 1000 yards. The glass makes A difference, as well as the rest of the rifle. Just my 2 cents!! That is A 4" circle we are shooting at.
This is true, but with optics tech these days, you don't have to buy a S&B, NF, or Razor GenII to be competitive at 1K. You can buy a $600-1,200 scope and hang in there. I have a bunch of Vortex Viper HS and HS-T scopes, and they use the same glass as the Viper PST, which are $1,000 scopes. They are more than capable at 1K. I also have $1,500+ scopes, so don't think I'm just claiming my cheap scopes are good because that's "all I can afford". I'm not that guy. But if something is just as capable or better than something that costs more, I'm going to do my duty and be as honest as possible when referring someone a product. Also, the last Scmidt's I looked through were junk. I wouldn't have bought the whole lot of them for $2,500...Much less the $2,500 each price tag.

Last edited:
NO, not even with reloads and I don't care what you read on the internet. Spend your money on reloading for it.
He absolutely CAN get better than 1 MOA out to 500 yards with reloads, as long as he knows what he's doing and is an experienced reloader.

But I do agree with you, that he should also invest in reloading equipment, as well has have his rifle blueprinted.

NO, not even with reloads and I don't care what you read on the internet. Spend your money on reloading for it.
With all do respect, what are you talking about?! Reloading isnt going to help, but you recommend reloading? I have a rifle that shoots 1moa with factory ammo. Guess what? It shoots WAY better than 1/2 moa with tuned reloads!

Not sure what you mean by "bed the barrel"?? I used JB weld at the front tang attachment point where the pocket in the stock was overly large - filled it in so it was snug and smooth. The barrel is "free floated" past this attachment point which is at the front of the breech chamber. you can easily slip in a dollar bill to check. help me understand what you mean. thanks, mike.
From your previous post "you can bed the barrel yourself". Now you state you just bed the lug. You didn't post "I bed the lug ONLY", you said bed the barrel. One reads that and presumes you are talking about the entire barrel.

He absolutely CAN get better than 1 MOA out to 500 yards with reloads, as long as he knows what he's doing and is an experienced reloader.

But I do agree with you, that he should also invest in reloading equipment, as well has have his rifle blueprinted.
Never saw any 7RM that could even do 1 moa to 500, regardless of reloading skills. Of course on the internet, anything is possible AND true.

With all do respect, what are you talking about?! Reloading isnt going to help, but you recommend reloading? I have a rifle that shoots 1moa with factory ammo. Guess what? It shoots WAY better than 1/2 moa with tuned reloads!
Reloading won't get you 1 moa at 500 with a 7RM. And what's a "tuned" reload? You have a tuner on your barrel?

I have a 700 that is doing about 1 MOA using reloads. I've been on the fence about selling it or working with it. Thought about doing a recrown on it but didn't think it would do much. Anything more requires much more work/$$. It just collects dust. My local gun smith says a new barrel is of much better value than action work.
Your local gunsmith is spot on. Best money you can spend would be a custom barrel. Of course bedding, good trigger and good optics are must haves also.

Never saw any 7RM that could even do 1 moa to 500, regardless of reloading skills. Of course on the internet, anything is possible AND true.
You've got to be joking... Are you just here to troll, or are you actually serious in thinking that a 7mmRM is not physically capable in ANYONE'S hands, to shoot better than 5" at 500 yards (1 MOA)??? Because I can tell you right now that if you think that, you have zero experience with one. And personally, if you believe that, then you know nothing about guns or reloading.

1 MOA is not 1" at any yardage. MOA is a progressive measurement that increases per 100 yards of distance you shoot. 1 MOA @ 100 yards = 1", 1 MOA @ 500 yards = 5", 1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10".

You're telling me you don't think that the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge itself, regardless if the rifle is a complete custom job from the best gunsmith in the world, is capable of EVER shooting better than 1" per 100 yards of distance? Well buddy, I've owned about five 7mm RemMags, and they ALL shot better than that, most were around 1/2 MOA guns on average.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.