Will truing or blueprinting an action increase accuracy that much?

Sir, you do not seem to have a grasp on the subject. If your interested there is some good reading out there with vibration analysis.
Alex i have personal built rifle that shoot down near the 100 mark. I have a good buddy who has more world (not national } benchrest champianships on his wall than any other shooter I know of! He still builds some very fine rifles for select clients. He produces great rifles! he agrees its about barrel quality, a dead nuts true chamber, proper crown and good bedding. A bullet that does not start down the bore dead center and survive its passage with out becoming deformed ,just won t fly well!!! You can do all the vibration studies you want. I understand the importance of getting the bullet to leave at the same time during the harmonics produce during firing. I played with tuners ,barrel taper, even over saw the build of a torsion barrel set up. Until each bullet leaves the bore with out any damage , nothing else has a greater impact on accuracy potentional.

No one asked about barrel quality. The question was does truing an action effect accuracy. It does. Its down the list, but it does. I build rifles every day for a living and have current 1000yd yard world records in Benchrest too, doesnt mean squat. Facts are facts no matter what your credentials are or who you know.

we have some common ground! it is down on the list and other things have to be in place for it to begin to matter ! Lets get a little deeper into it!

I believe that the blueprinting has a bigger impact on accuracy by property fire forming brass and by the use of that brass down the line, and has less of a impact with factory ammo! agree or disagree?

I believe that the quality of the threading ,is as important in heat dissipation as you believe it is in vibration control. I found this to be true in building ppc revolvers, getting 57 threads to a inch on a barrel extension done right was very important to stop POI shift due to heat build up! agree or disagree

I believe that action stiffness and barrel taper along with proper bedding have a bigger influnce on controling barrel harmonics than anything else, That none of the above matter with out proper stress relief Agree or disagree

I believe that proper stock design and fit for the task at hand along with stiffness are need to capitalize on all of the above! agree or disagree!

lastly I believe that a very accurate rifle is the sum of all these factors! agree or disagree

Rigidity does not equal accuracy in actions or stocks
Tight well cut threads will not shoot better than extremely loose rough threads
True straight actions will shoot better with factory and reloaded ammo. Cases shoot better if you give them room in the chamber.

True straight actions will shoot better with factory and reloaded ammo. Cases shoot better if you give them room in the chamber.
Mostly agree,

Rigidity in stocks along with design don t increase accuracy,but do make it easier to shoot it to it full potential. its got to ride the rest well or preload on a bipod with out flexing!

In a true match rifle not a sporter, I find stiff actions and barrels quite harmonics.We found with match 22l r that have too heavy of a barrel would not respond to a Tunner. In rim fire you can t reload so you have tune the rifle to the best lot you can find! Center fire you able to tune the load to the rifle by hand loading!

You don t buy into the actions that allow for a longer threaded barrel extension?

A friend of mine used to shoot slug gun. He was very fussy about cutting the threads. One time he was running late. He threaded and chambered the barrel in a hurry. That day he set a 200 yard world record with that rifle!

A friend of mine used to shoot slug gun. He was very fussy about cutting the threads. One time he was running late. He threaded and chambered the barrel in a hurry. That day he set a 200 yard world record with that rifle!

two things come to mind.

just because he did it fast does t mean he did it poorly!

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good! {there are times things go so well for me I can t explain it any other way} lol

Last edited:
Mostly agree,

Rigidity in stocks along with design don t increase accuracy,but do make it easier to shoot it to it full potential. its got to ride the rest well or preload on a bipod with out flexing!

In a true match rifle not a sporter, I find stiff actions and barrels quite harmonics.We found with match 22l r that have too heavy of a barrel would not respond to a Tunner. In rim fire you can t reload so you have tune the rifle to the best lot you can find! Center fire you able to tune the load to the rifle by hand loading!

You don t buy into the actions that allow for a longer threaded barrel extension?
Its very hard to compare rimfire to centerfire. The harmonics are different and the rimfire is in the barrel for much longer time. Example would be in CF a tuner, even and light one will have huge effect on grouping even on a 1.25" straight taper. The long thread tenon is simply a sales ploy. All the threads must to is hold the shoulder tight to the action, the shoulder points and supports the barrel, threads center and supply the pulling force to the shoulder. Here is some info on threads thats quite interesting http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/barrel-tenon.3920701/

Its very hard to compare rimfire to centerfire. The harmonics are different and the rimfire is in the barrel for much longer time. Example would be in CF a tuner, even and light one will have huge effect on grouping even on a 1.25" straight taper. The long thread tenon is simply a sales ploy. All the threads must to is hold the shoulder tight to the action, the shoulder points and supports the barrel, threads center and supply the pulling force to the shoulder. Here is some info on threads thats quite interesting http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/barrel-tenon.3920701/
agree with all of the above, it is in my thoughts harder to produce a outstanding rimfire rig ,than center fire. The only tuner i played with on CF was a boss on a browning 7 /08 Since I am able to do precision reloading, it did not seem to be worth the effort. I help build a torsion barrel set up! We took a barrel tuned a shoulder in front of the chamber , reduced the outside dia of the barre to thinner bull Threaded the end of the barrel. We cut and turned a piece of to match the shoulder by the chamber.We made a end cap that had a shoulder ,used a spanner wrench to tighten the rig and put tension on the barrel. It worked very well! Much lighter than a full bull barrel ,just as stiff. I all ways toyed with the idea of making a suppresser that function the same. The tolarance at the chamber end would have to be extremely tight not to leak, Threading that end would be counter productive!

Sounds like you have a pretty good basic rig. Given that, you will get the most bang for the buck with proper bedding and a good trigger. I would do that work my self as it's not very involved, and you will get to know the rifle better in the process. Not being critical, but I doubt you have a true 1 moa rig at 500yd. While you can get the occasional group that good, few F-class competitors will consistently shoot perfect 20 shot scores in the 1moa ring at 500. The message is don't get too excited if you make improvements and don't get 1 moa or better consistently.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned the glass you put on the rifle. The gun is no better than the glass. If you can't see it clearly and your glass stay true it does not matter if you have the best gun in the world. I see it every day. People have 5 & 6 thousand dollar rifles built then put A 3 or 4 hundred dollar scope on it and can't see past 400 yards without distortion in the glass. Here is A 10 shot group at 1000 yards. The glass makes A difference, as well as the rest of the rifle. Just my 2 cents!! That is A 4" circle we are shooting at.

Attachments

• CF66CAC5-CAC6-4F18-9890-1DEC27A35B7A.jpeg
    CF66CAC5-CAC6-4F18-9890-1DEC27A35B7A.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 167
I have a Remington 700 LR in a 7mm mag and I am considering have my local Smith true the action for me and glass bed it as well. I haven't had it that long and been able to really test it out but so far with just factory Ammo it's staying right under 1 moa at 500 yards so far. Could I potentially cut that down to half or quarter moa accuracy from truing the action and bedding? Thanks!
NO, not even with reloads and I don't care what you read on the internet. Spend your money on reloading for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.