Wildcats

wildfire120

have a savage 110 action laying around. I bought it because I had big plans for building a 6.5 stw, but opted instead for a sendero in 264 win mag (100 gr partitions and 130gr bergers). kind of stuck on what wildcat I'd like to own. I'm a pretty well seasoned handloader, so that is no biggie, cost of components and time aren't really an issue either.

Last edited:
You have a magnum bolt face, so I recommend giving the .300 Ackley Improved Magnum a try. It is also a fun and unusual one. I love mine. Other good ones are 7mm STW, 7x300 Wby, and .28 Nosler.

thanks for the reply. its not very hard to change the savage bolt heads, so if there are others that you like, I'd love to hear em!

thanks for the reply. its not very hard to change the savage bolt heads, so if there are others that you like, I'd love to hear em!

That changes the dynamic a bit... The .280 AI is very hard to beat, but if you want speed, the .25-06 AI 40º is one slick cartridge with the 115 Bergers. Mine is around 3,300-3,400 fps with a 26" barrel. Or if you want to stick with the 6.5mm's the 6.5 Sherman is a beast. One of our forum members, Rich Sherman (elkaholic), created them, and you can get dies, and rent a reamer from him. Just contact him here on the forum.

But, if you want a big thumper that will reach out to a mile, the .300 Ackley pushing a Berger 215 Hybrid is one to look at. It's basically a .300 Wby Improved with a 40º rectangular shoulder, instead of that round Venturi shoulder.

What do you want to do with it? There are not really a lot of big wildcats that are actually worth the hassle. I have a 7-300WM. I wanted the extra horsepower without the extra length of the STW. I did not want to be stuck with one brass source of the 28 Nosler. I would only build a 280AI if I were stuck with the bolt head. I would go with a 7mm Rem Mag if mag length were an issue. The 338 Edge has its place and a 338 Lapua improved would be nice. I do not like fire forming, especially when barrel life is at a premium.

well, like I said I have a 264 that I shoot 100 grain bullets out of, and a 7mm rem mag that I shoot 168 grain bullets. the more I look, I think i'm wanting something to shoot 75 grain bullets really fast, or a 120 grain bullet really fast.

I kind of want to fill the space between the 50 grain 22-250 and the 100 grain in 264

I have a 243 that I've had for years, but would like to have something different, something with a wow factor, if you will.

It's going to be something I'll have around the farm for coyotes, antelope, varmints, etc

I looked at the 224 TTH, but then thought about the 6-06... just stuck I guess.

I got 243 and 243AI and I don't own 25 cal but think 25-06AI be good one like MudRunner2005 mentioned.

At this point the chamber that I think is the most fun and produces the biggest wow is the 30-338 Lap Imp. With a 30" barrel this one is able to run our 181g Hammer Hunter at 3600fps. This is very hard to beat at any range with anything else. Use a pain killer brake and it is very tame to shoot. I let kids shoot mine.

Steve

well, like I said I have a 264 that I shoot 100 grain bullets out of, and a 7mm rem mag that I shoot 168 grain bullets. the more I look, I think i'm wanting something to shoot 75 grain bullets really fast, or a 120 grain bullet really fast.

I kind of want to fill the space between the 50 grain 22-250 and the 100 grain in 264

I have a 243 that I've had for years, but would like to have something different, something with a wow factor, if you will.

It's going to be something I'll have around the farm for coyotes, antelope, varmints, etc

I looked at the 224 TTH, but then thought about the 6-06... just stuck I guess.

If you want a 120gr bullet that goes really fast, give the .25-06 AI a look...If you want to keep a magnum bolt face, .257 Weatherby Mag. Both hit deer REALLY hard with a 110-120gr bullets.

thanks for all of the input, still searching. mudrunner, how tough is it to make the 25-06AI brass? other than fire forming, do you have to turn necks or anything? or is that all based on the way your chamber is cut?

thanks for all of the input, still searching. mudrunner, how tough is it to make the 25-06AI brass? other than fire forming, do you have to turn necks or anything? or is that all based on the way your chamber is cut?

Forming brass is fairly simple and straight forward. Do a lot of reading on here. If you do a search, I posted my process for forming .270 Win brass into .25-06 AI brass a couple of times here on the forum. Can't remember how long ago, but it was a couple years ago.

Yes, turning necks has to do with the chamber reamer's specs. I don't turn necks for any of my cartridges. All of mine have standard SAAMI neck specs that don't require turning down the brass.

also, how does the 25 AI handle bullets in the 75-80 grain range for varminting and such

I shot some Nosler 85gr BT's (3/4 loads) when I was fire-forming and they were fairly accurate and fairly fast. So I imagine if one were to load them up in formed brass with a full charge of powder, they would be laser beams for 400-500 yard varmint hunting.

That being said, I only shoot Berger 115's with formed brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts