Wildcats @ 500yds

41mag

WEll I did some more fireforming yesterday and figured I would post up a pic of the 500yd plate after two shots on it with the 169.5gr Wildcats sitting on top of 98grs of 872. The velocity was clocked at 3385 for one round and 3373 for the second.
P4090025.jpg

P4090026.jpg

I really like the way they left nice deep 3/8" craters, with the metal rolled out on the edges.

The wider craters around them are from my buds, 300 RUM, the 185 Bergers and 210gr Bergers. The deep one, directly over the two 169.5's, is from a 150gr Nosler Solid Base I shot right before we touched up the plate.

Sewwhat, man that thing is a hoot to shoot for sure. My bud has been working it over pretty well, but now it's my turn. So far we have had no trouble deciding which is who's rounds. LOL

Blas,

I am working slowly into my new .270 Allen Mag.

You should have a complain to Kirby that the gun shoots an inch to the right and one bullet didn't land exactly on top of the other at 500yds.

Mike,

Looks like 1/2 moa or better to me!!!

Good Shooting, you will like this girl more and more the farther out you push her!!!

You must have a pretty quick burn rate lot of WC872. Your getting pretty impressive velocities for that powder charge, course its alot warmer down south as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Keep us posted!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I thought it might be a 7mm ,I saw the 169.5 bullet.

Kirby is going to build one for me sooner or later. What caliber I don't know yet maybe 257 STW or ????????.

Kirby,

The loads definately warmed up as the day progressed. I started out shooting up some of the original 140gr loads and then tried some of the Noslers just to see how they would do. Then on to the 169's. I only shot five of the big ones right at the last to check the velocity. The first three went into the 300yd target, and I set my scope for the other two, using the data from the first ones. Of all five shots the max spread was only 43fps. I think that was due to the barrel being warmer as I shot the last two. I haven't adjusted the scope for vertical as of yet, and only dialed in the horizontal to see if it matched up with the Exbal. Figured since I was working with one, might as well use the other.

I do however have close to 75 cases formed and will be loading some with the 869 tonight and getting ready for the weekend. Your also right about the more I shoot it, the better I like it. That trigger is MUCH more user friendly now than it was two weeks ago.LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts