Wildcat non bonded bullets

Boman

What are your guys experience with these bullets on
Big game? I want to try the non bonded RBBT in my rifle but want to make sure they are Big game worthy. Let me know. Thanks

They will work just fine. SS7MM used the 200gr 7mm ULD for elk with success and Kirby and many others have used the other ULD's without a problem.

Richards bullets truly are something amazing!!!

steve

[ QUOTE ]
Richards bullets truly are something amazing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I sure hope so. I've been waiting a month for my 200's.

Not in a huge yank but would still like to see them here.

I also understand this is a bad time to communicate with Richard.

Boman:

This was a deer I shot last year with a Wildcat 200 gr. ULD RBBT.

This was a elk I shot last year with a Wildcat 200 gr. ULD RBBT.

I believe Kirby shot 2 deer and an antelope with Wildcats also. He'll probably chime in when he sees the thread.

I think Bill Bailey shot a "cow" type critter with a Wildcat also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seems to me they work pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boman,

304209.jpg

First big game taken with the 156 gr ULD RBBT in my 257 Allen Mag loaded to 3300 fps. Shot was just over 500 yards. The angle was quartering toward us, bullet landed high on the onside shoulder and took out 8 inches of spine before coming to rest under the skin on the offside ham.

304211.jpg

First critter harvested with the 270 AM. My dad took this painted Desert ram using the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3300 fps. This was a close range shot in heavy cover. Range was about 50 yards through both shoulders. Fully exited with a 1.5" exit wound. The ram simply fell in a heap and did not even twitch. Not the biggest but it was a good close range test for the bullet to see how it would perform at very close range at these velocities.

304212.jpg

Took this very large Mouflon Ram with my 270 Allen Mag at 610 yards. I used the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT loaded to bit over 3300 fps. Shot was dead on the rams chest and the bullet penetrated to the rear ham. It had pretty much turned into a mangled mess of copper and lead but it had penetrated over 2 feet as well.

332194.jpg

This pronghorn much, my personal best at nearly 84" of score was dropped with a single 156 gr ULD RBBT out of my 257 Allen Mag loaded to 3300 fps. Range was just shy of 550 yards. Quartering away shoulder shot, broke the offside shoulder and exited. 1/2" entracnce hole, 1.5" exit.

348297.jpg

This is the whitetail I took in Canada last fall while hunting with Richard. Bullet performance was more like a controled expansion bullet then a conventional cup jacketed bullet. About a 1/2" entrance would and roughly a 1 1/4" exit. And that was as it took out the offside shoulder so things held together very well. This busk was taken with the 200 gr ULD RBBT fired at 3200 fps in my 7mm AM.

348306.jpg

Exit wound from whitetail above. That is the thumb of the famous bullet maker himself!!!

365550.jpg

Russian Bore taken this winter using the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3200 fps in my 7mm AM. Range was 715 yards. Put two in his shoulder before he made it to the brush line. Full penetration and expansion similar to all other game taken with the ULD RBBT bullets.

You will find that expansion begins at around 6" of penetration with these heavy ULD RBBT bullets. If you want to hunt light to medium game, this should be considered and maybe a larger meplat ordered to promote expansion. For game in the 150 to 400 lb range, these are very hard to beat. Penetrate very well with their high sectional density and very accurate and buck the wind as well as or better then anything else out there.

The animals above were from one calender year of field testing with the Wildcat Bullets on big game. This did not even count all the coyotes and chucks that fell to these bullets.

All of the animals above were one shot kills except the Russian bore but he would have died from either of the two shots that hit his shoulder. Pigs are tough, just wanted to put another bullet in him and was not real sure where my first bullet had impacted. Hard to tell on a dark boar at 715 yards. All I could see was ice crystals fly all over hell when the bullets landed and the pig shutter from the impact.

I will not use any other bullet as long as they shoot well in my rifles. So far they all have but there are some rifles that simply prefer other bullets. Not the rifles fault, not the bullets fault, just the way this game plays out some time.

If your looking for a long range big game bullet then these are very hard to beat.

If your looking for a bullet for use on game such as elk, moose or big bear, I would say these will work but Richard offers other designs that are non-bonded core that would work better. Flat base with heavier jackets to be specific.

You will not be unhappy with the results of these bullets on game even up to 500 lbs with the heavier bullets from the results I have seen first hand.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks guys, Thats the info I needed. some of those i've read some I've missed. I know the bullets will work at long range but what worries me is the short range shot.. Sometimes my elk shots are at 30yds.. By the way right now I'm shooting a .340Wby mostly 225gr bullets. I'd like to use the 225 ULD RBBT from Richard. I've tried the bonded version of his bullets but want to try the Non bonded as well. Thanks again guys.

Have been making and using rbbt for years. Using a little harder lead seems to help penetration. With out bonding..

Boman,

The man to ask is Richard himself so send him an e-mail the first part of June, he's chasing Grizzly right now!!!

If I may make a suggestion, do not get to hung up on using a RBBT for big game hunting. Richard offers several ogive options on his bullets and something like a #10 or even ULD ogive combined with a Flat base would offer good high BC numbers as well as allow the heavier jackets to be used for much better penetration at close range impacts on game such as elk.

Richard offers jackets from 0.030" up to 0.065". The 0.030" is the best for all around hunting, close and long range but if you center heavy bone at close range you may have some issues depending on the sectional density of the bullet. In the case of the 338 I would not think you would have a problem with at least 225 gr of bullet weight.

Again, if your not going to be hunting past 500 yards, the RBBT is not "needed". Dispite modern thinking, a Flat base bullet will reach out past 300 yards!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Give Richard a call or e-mail, he will point you in the right direction for sure.

Kirby Allen(50)

Good info on these bullets and congrats to Kirby on the hawg antelope. Was that 84 net or gross? Awesome either way!

Kirby,
Thanks for that info. I have the 225gr Wildcats that are bonded and they have the flat base. So far they have shot just OK. Thats the main reason for wanting to check out the RBBT's. Yeah I probably just need to talk to Richard again. Thanks to everyone who answered.

Sambo3006,

It scored 83 5/8 B&C after 60 days. Bottom two circumference measurements were both over 7" on both sides. My best goat to date by far.

He grossed 84 4/8"

Kirby Allen(50)

Check a post in bullets, barrels and ballistics on the 175 wildcat., there´s a pic of a mountain goat shot at 150 yds with a 175 g. HPRBBT out of a 7 rm. Bullet ( as happened in another case) exited with a pretty big wound.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.