Crimping non-cannelure bullets?

Muddyboots

OK, I am onto the 30/30 challenge from LRH thread and was going to try some 150 grain Prohunters and then realized, DANG, no cannelure for crimping. But since this will be single feed, does it really matter anyway. I was still thinking of using them as 2 shot rifle with 1 in chamber and 1 in tube and not sure how much recoil would affect a non cannelure bullet that is still crimped a little bit? Or just forget about any crimp need and go with neck tension since single feed?

I tried some 150 round nose and spitzers made for .308 / 06 and could NOT get the OAL short enough for my Savage 340 magazine. Do you think the 2nd shot will cycle with these 150 Pro Hunters you are going to try....I'm assuming they are NOT flat points made for 30-30....or have you done it before? I did settle on the Sierra 125 grain spitzers. The OAL was fine. I'll be taking the 125's out for the challenge as well.

Crimping non cannelure bullets is not recommended. To much chance of changing the neck tension. For non cannelure bullets in a tube magazine I recommend slightly more neck tension. Dies that use an expander ball can be sanded down one or two thousandths to increase the bullet grip. If you load single, it is not an issue.

J E CUSTOM

Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and crimp away. It creates it's own cannelure and does not destroy the bullet like some think and say. I have used them for years. I have had best results with what I call a medium crimp. I adjust the die with no round in it by looking down in the top where I can see the crimping fingers and adjust so they close half way between full open and full closed. If you want a really accurate and super deer bullet for the 30-30 get some 125 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have used the two shot load in a leaver action for years. I also have tried many bullets in Contender Pistols in 30-30 and 30-30AI and the 125 BT is the best I have found. I have killed a pile of deer with them. They are very accurate and at the velocities of the 30-30's I usually get complete pass through even through both front shoulders on a deer. I use this bullet in all my 30 cal. stuff for deer. As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.