Wild sheep foundation and sheep show?

One of the funnest things my son and I do aside from hunting together is attend conservation organization events. The fun part for me is rubbing shoulders with like minded hunters who all have the same dreams. My son is on the Utah WSF board and we are heavily involved in sheep conservation because, like you, we think sheep are really cool!
Join up and get involved locally, but beware of "the sheep virus". It is way more contagious than COVID-19.
But way more fun to have!

I'm a life member and have been attending the show the past 30 years on and off. WSF has grown from a 'good old boys' gathering into a professional organization in my opinion. It is a small organization with about 8000 members, but roughly 50% of them are life members. That to me shows passion and willingness to invest long term. As others have said, the show is what you make of it, but even if you can't afford to buy an auction hunt, there's plenty of raffle opportunities and the money goes to a good cause.

I think you all are starting to convince me that this is a good path for me. I sometimes struggle finding many folks to connect with that share the same intensity as me when it comes to outdoor pursuits.

elkeater thanks for the interest in the WY chapter. To start check out our website at wyomingwildsheep.org. We pride ourselves on being transparent with where we spend the funds we raise. You will find info on the GIA's we have funded, info on our banquet and opportunities to join us in our work. To feed that sheep hunting bug we are raffling a Dall sheep hunt in the NWT. Only 150 tickets left! The website also has links to our member magazine and my contact info. Just look at the board of directors info. I would be happy to visit with you about our chapter and other members in your area. here is the raffle link, https://www.wyomingwildsheep.org/cfraffle.asp

I am a life member and have been attending the Sheep Show for many years. The organization purpose is to "Put and Keep Sheep on the Mountain"... They fund sheep projects around the world and espicall in the USA. They are the premier sheep conservation organization. The Sheep Show is not the largest outdoor show, but it has the most hard core sheep hunters, guides and ourfitters all under one roof at one time. It is the place to be to talk to experts on sheep and sheep hunting. They publish a great magazine and the folks at the organization are dedicated to sheep... not just making money for the organization and the paid staff.

WSF also sponsored a great film on wild horses and thier negitive impact on Sheep and all game animals in the West. No origazation is perfect... but WSF puts a ton of $$$ into sheep habitat and educating the public on Sheep issues.
I don't remember the exact name, but you should be able to find it on YouTube. Check it out...

WSF also sponsored a great film on wild horses and thier negitive impact on Sheep and all game animals in the West. No origazation is perfect... but WSF puts a ton of $$$ into sheep habitat and educating the public on Sheep issues.
I don't remember the exact name, but you should be able to find it on YouTube. Check it out...

I think you are referring to the film "Horse Rich Dirt Poor". It's a well made film.

Here are the credits for funding the film, all great orgs:
B40B7EE4-3CA9-42C8-B310-1762EA84E9DD.jpeg

Bighorns in WY are wonderful Took me 17 years to draw and even then is was a lottery tag not points. Found a great outfitter and had a successful hunt. As Dustin said: "What could be better at 75 than sitting a fine horse up in sheep country ?"
IMG_2607.jpg

Here is a link to a cool video sponsored by the Wild Sheep Foundation.

When I was a kid I grew up on a huge sheep ranch, they ran 12 bands and was generations old, right in the heart of awesome bighorn country, you ran into bighorns all the time then they removed all the somatic sheep and the bighorns dies of and we're killed of fast, they'd transplant sheep, they'd make it a few weeks before the predators wiped them out because there no predators control because there are not sheep to pay for it. A few years ago the big plan was to shoot out all the remaining sheep then the FWP and the sheep federation would transplant 75-100 healthy predator savey sheep in, not the federation has backed out because of the predators being out of control and we're left with no bighorns. The old biologist here would not say the issue was from the domestic sheep, he called it a guess but there were other possibilities.
I don't know, it's a bummer, love bighorns and hunting them.

When I was a kid I grew up on a huge sheep ranch, they ran 12 bands and was generations old, right in the heart of awesome bighorn country, you ran into bighorns all the time then they removed all the somatic sheep and the bighorns dies of and we're killed of fast, they'd transplant sheep, they'd make it a few weeks before the predators wiped them out because there no predators control because there are not sheep to pay for it. A few years ago the big plan was to shoot out all the remaining sheep then the FWP and the sheep federation would transplant 75-100 healthy predator savey sheep in, not the federation has backed out because of the predators being out of control and we're left with no bighorns. The old biologist here would not say the issue was from the domestic sheep, he called it a guess but there were other possibilities.
I don't know, it's a bummer, love bighorns and hunting them.
I don't know where you would find 75-100 sheep that anyone would part with

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.