Wild Reloading - Powder ?

peterb

Thought I would throw this one out there for the usual comment.

About 30 years ago, I used to reload all my own ammunition and had done for quite some time.
Part way through a small batch of .223 reloads, one shot did not quite go as it should. The end result was a shattered pair of prescription glasses, concussion, and a rifle with a welded breach.
Six weeks later, with a new rifle (CMC), exactly the same thing happened again except this time the doctor got the giggles as he was plucking shrapnel from my face.(rotten sod !)
A sample of the rounds were sent to a gunsmith for analysis as a few friends could not see a problem. The gunsmith was not able to find any issues with the reloads either and also mentioned that at 20 tonnes per square inch , the rifle could not be pulled apart.
Consequently, the rest of the rounds were sent to the Police Firearms Branch where their experts broke down every single remaining round in that batch, but to no avail.
The local police and I then opened the tin of powder and upon pouring it out, discovered a darker colour strain flowing out in the middle of the rest - the tin, by the way, had just been purchased and had absolutely no way of being contaminated outside of the production process.
It was recommended that I take this to the Department of Consumer Affairs (Western Oz) as it seemed as though I had a really strong case against the manufacturer.
Between the lines, they sort of said that this company, being a multi - national was too big to take on.
So, to this day I haven't reloaded another round and also boycott that particular company, the name of, I will not mention
My question to you all is, has anyone ever experienced anything similar to my experience.
A comment that did pop up was that the particular rifle has an extremely strong bolt locking system which is what saved my life, but every time I get behind a rifle now, I always look at the end of the bolt and wonder .............

Cheers,

Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.