Primer and powder recommendations for a 6.5 wild cat

WindTrax

Hi folks,

I'll be loading for a new 6.5 wild cat based on a shortened 270 WSM case, shortened to hold about 4 grains less capacity to the base of the shoulder/neck junction than a 6.5x.284 Winchester. I'm hoping some folks can get me started on some good primer and powder types for a case of that capacity (not looking for amounts at this point, just which powders and primers to buy.) I'll be shooting this out of a gun with a 24" barrel, and will be using 130 through 142 grain bullets for a trip to Africa for plains game, and after that deer, black bear and the like here in the U.S.

In the past I've always used Federal 210m primers in my old .260 Rem, but I'm finding those are extremely scarce these days. Are there better large rifle primers out there for a case of this size? Also, what are most folks using in rounds like the 6.5x.284 for hunting where the temps can vary alot? I am wondering if that will put me close - or if I should be looking for faster powders given the slightly smaller case capacity and 24" barrel...

Obviously as far as overall goals, velocity is good, accuracy is better, and of course both would be just super. :)

Any powder and primer info would be very appreciated! Thanks for any info!

Scott

Last edited:
scott,
try some Magpro powder made by Accurate........it works awesome in the wsm short mags cause it was made Especially for them, ive used it in my friends 1885 high-wall 270 wsm with stellar results. primers used were winchester MAGNUM primers...winchester 270wsm brass....
for best results do a ladder test,and you''ll find your sweet spot at the same time , regards

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/wildcatters-i-found-neat-round-what-4554/

You might want to do a search on some others sites they used a 6.5x300wsm in some LR matches.

Thanks Tom, unfortunately that might not help quite as much as one might guess as this case hold 17 grains less powder than the 6.5 WSM, but 6 grains more than the 6.5 WSSM. It's about 3 grains less than the 6.5x.284 if that helps. I'd attach a drawing but cannot figure out how to post the attachment to be honest... :)

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
scott,
try some Magpro powder made by Accurate........it works awesome in the wsm short mags cause it was made Especially for them, ive used it in my friends 1885 high-wall 270 wsm with stellar results. primers used were winchester MAGNUM primers...winchester 270wsm brass....
for best results do a ladder test,and you''ll find your sweet spot at the same time , regards

Thanks JJMP! I'll check it out. I am wondering if I will still need to use the mag primers with a case about 17 grains less powder capacity at the neck. Hmmm... something for me to mull over a bit, may just take some experimenting with different primers I imagine. Thanks for the info!
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.