Why you don't shoot a 200 yd ladder

Alan Griffith

Yesterday, the weather forecast seemed like it would be a good day to go out and work on my 200 Accubond load development for my 30-06 Ackley Imp w/ 26" ss Lilja barrel. Hoping to go to Alaska this year for Grizzly.

Anyway, upon arrival to my winter spot for shooting their were some rabbit hunters already there. Oh well, it's thousands of acres of BLM land so further up the road I drive. Find a likely spot and set up 1st for some 300 yd group testing for Ramshot Magnum. Once I had shot four 6-shot groups, gathering chrono data as well, I then turned to running a 21 shot H1000 ladder. Problem was the wind had switched and I had to move my target so the wind was in my face but the sun was from my 9:30 casting a shadow on the target and making it difficult, at best, to see holes with my 20+ year old Bushnell 48x spotter. After my 300 yd target was blown over 2x before I even fired a shot, I decided to move to 200 yds in hopes of seeing the holes more clearly so I didn't have to keep trampsing back and forth after each shot......in 3-6" of snow. Needless to say it took a long time.

Ladder200ABH1000200yd.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see it pretty difficult to tell which holes are which. And silly me shot 3 spotters (they have circles around them), adding to the mess, before acutally shooting the ladder.

The good news, I do believe I found two sweet spots; numbers 12 and 13/ 2774 & 2790 fps and numbers 20 and 21/2876 & 2881 fps. Number 21 was my max propellant charge but didn't really show any pressure signs.

Note to self: Shoot ladders at 300 yds!

Thanks, AJ.

Creighton Audette is a famous figure in the shooting community, and so is R. Constantine. This looks like a very improtant load development method. I guess everyone knew about it except me.

LH

Alan,

Been there and done that. But Hey, when you get out there ya just gotta shoot.:D

Roy,

You ain't kiddin man! Waiting on weather, wife and work to say "go"! Kind of like waitin on the stars to align. Once your there, just shoot and try and make sense of it all when you get back home. I'd have shot another ladder w/ H4831sc but the 17 yr old daugther kept calling me and asking when I was coming home so I could take her over to her boyfriends house for New Years eve. I finally caved.

Hey, Presidents Day is in 19 days. Federal holiday, hope the weather cooperates.

I must apologize for my computer --ineptness... I can't seem to get the link to work. Have clicked it and copied/pasted into my browser. Any suggestions?
J

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.