Why would you not sight in at 100 yards?

I won't defend what happened and the current debate is why I didn't provide all the detail when I first posted of the successful trip when I returned in a different post. I know it's not the smartest shot but in the moment it happened.

It happened as I said and it was the best shot of my life. Probably the luckiest too. Regardless it happened and here's the pic. Enjoy. Now back to the original topic. MPBR works best for hunting

That is one nice bull, congrats

I've made a few incredible shots (mostly on bunnies) and a few just as incredible misses. But like most people, I tend *not* to remember the misses as well as the hits! I suspect that if we all started typing up all of our incredible hits over the years, this would very quickly become the longest thread in the history of gun forums!
Cheers,
crkckr

I apologize if I came of claiming your wrong, not my intention, it just seemed like 10 feet is too much, I'm not good with calculations and this is how I was thought from a young age.

Now here is why I say this, I've shot several deer at around 300 yards, if it is further than than that I am more likely to not take the shot but it depends. On these shots I've taken I aimed about a foot in front if it's nose and all shots were right on the boiler room.

The javelina I shot last season was a little over a 100 yds away going full speed from left to right and with my 7mm Rem Mag and a 140gr Ballistic Silvertip at around 3,250 fps I aimed at the center of its head and hit it right under the ear, thats about 5 inches from aiming and firing point. Now I dont have a mathematical explanation for it but it works

I've done Silhouette Shooting competition, smallbore and high power for over 30 years and this is done off hand, no prone or kneeling to shooting like this. I've shot one deer while kneeling and not a single animal from prone position, haven't even tried it, and up until a few months ago I've been thinking about trying it.

I'm not saying your math is wrong, just that my method works for me. Now, the shots I take are the ones I can make, not some hail mary shots hoping to get lucky. If you have taken any like these when you pull the trigger you know that animal is going down.

Now I shoot several thousands of rounds between .22 LR, 223, 7mm-08 and my 7 Mag per year, all done of hand, this is to make sure that when I pull that trogger my quarry is dispatched fast and humanely.

Most folk don't have your ethic or clear natural abilities. I can be a bit of a (—//).

I once shot a deer running from 3-9 at light speed. He was 40 yards away. I led him 2' and missed. 4' and missed, 6 feet and shot him in the butt. Never stopped the gun.

Ive known ppl who saw the bullet's path to the animal visually in their minds. Instinctive archers do that. Its a gift. Lead is automatic for them. Sounds like you are one of those.

My running shots are the similar to my wingshooting method. Swing through from behind, shot when the crosshair or bead hits the chest with the rifle moving.....Always on hair.
I'm a swing thru guy on runners. Ambush on walkers mostly. But I will always try to wait till last possible moment for animal to stop.

If you think that running game shot with a high velocity rifle round requires a lot of lead.....you should try to get the lead correct on a poorly hit "speed goat" (Pronghorn) at a little over 100 yards, shooting a 44 magnum handgun! :mad: memtb

If you think that running game shot with a high velocity rifle round requires a lot of lead.....you should try to get the lead correct on a poorly hit "speed goat" (Pronghorn) at a little over 100 yards, shooting a 44 magnum handgun! :mad: memtb
Good luck with that

Good luck with that

I managed to do the deed....but it required three shots, increasing the lead each time! And, I still shot through "both" back legs, breaking the legs. They're not nearly as fast without the "back wheels"! I ran up to the "goat", and inserted a properly placed bullet....ending the debacle! memtb

I managed to do the deed....but it required three shots, increasing the lead each time! And, I still shot through "both" back legs, breaking the legs. They're not nearly as fast without the "back wheels"! I ran up to the "goat", and inserted a properly placed bullet....ending the debacle! memtb

Been there done that. Hunting is not always pretty. Began shooting squirrels, rabbits and partridge around 8. Almost 65 now. 3 continents. Most of the states worth hunting and a few that were not. 6 provinces and I'm not ashamed to say I have seen a few things that have brought me to tears. Anyone who says its never gone wrong is like the lawyer who's never lost a case, he's probably only tried one.

Been there done that. Hunting is not always pretty. Began shooting squirrels, rabbits and partridge around 8. Almost 65 now. 3 continents. Most of the states worth hunting and a few that were not. 6 provinces and I'm not ashamed to say I have seen a few things that have brought me to tears. Anyone who says its never gone wrong is like the lawyer who's never lost a case, he's probably only tried one.

I am sure we all been there, for example. I took a shot at a deer at 350m about 20 years ago, he jumped forward as I pulled the trigger and ended with a gut shot, I was able to do a quick follow up shot on the boiler room and down he went.

Hunting is always full of surprises, good and bad, it's just how it is

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.