Where would you Go & Why ?

1100 Remington Man

Just heard from a friend he's up for any thing this Fall for Big Game. The bad news is we are past most application deadlines, this late where would you Go & Why ? Also we prefer DIY hunts, My friend and I like the feeling of doing all the work ourselves. We also have all the gear, so might as well use it. So this late where would you go & for what & where ? I'm not asking for any honey holes, just States & Species but a National Forest would not hurt or BLM Grassland. Thanks & Good Hunting to you All.

nope, no moose in alaska. greenies say that the moose migrated to canada with the caribou since it was getting too hot. might as well stay down south ...... no moose here, or anything else for that matter, they all moved away :D

Idaho. I think its pretty easy to get OTC tags for elk and deer. I also think you can take a wolf off your deer tag. Pick a wilderness area and get to work. Someone from Idaho could correct me though, that's just what I think I remember from working there as a guide.

Texas, shoot everything or Hawaii, sheep, goats, hogs and hula girls. Both fun and different.

We are considering OTC Bull tags in CO. The only thing is the success rate is 15-20% which is poor by any standard. Was also looking at NE for Deer but EHD has taken its toll on the Deer there. What is really throwing a wrench is my brother is coming to IA to Pheasant hunt & Duck hunt 15th to 23rd of November. So I need to go someplace before the 15th of November. Thanks for the suggestions.

Washington's got bears. August 1 pretty much on. Nearly everywhere. 2 tags on the coastal range, opens a little later in Eastern WA, and the Cascades has it's merits.

Middle August to mid September dependent on berries, but clear cuts hold their share. No bait, no dogs, its all spot and stalk. Well, some reservations can bait.

We are considering OTC Bull tags in CO. The only thing is the success rate is 15-20% which is poor by any standard. Was also looking at NE for Deer but EHD has taken its toll on the Deer there. What is really throwing a wrench is my brother is coming to IA to Pheasant hunt & Duck hunt 15th to 23rd of November. So I need to go someplace before the 15th of November. Thanks for the suggestions.

Colorado would definitely work for elk with the dates you are talking about, although the 15-20% success rate might even be a little high for some areas. Just showing up and hunting probably won't result in filling a tag. You would need to start planning, researching, and doing some internet scouting at a minimum before coming out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.