Why shoot deer size game with a 280 over 7mm rem mag?

there certainly are numerous smaller cartridges that will kill animals cleanly with well placed shots.
lets not forget however this is not a typical hunting site. it is geared toward long range hunting and shooting.
therein lies the difference as to what calibers are acceptable.
i personaly dont consider an animal killed at 300yds. a long range shot. nice shot yes, but not long range.
when it starts getting beyond that, i personaly would opt for the 280 or something similar.

It's algebraic really...

280/7mm = <$ + <lb/ft recoil

Mauser1908BrazM70stainlessandRem700.jpg
VZ24LotharWalther13007mmMagBansnerS.jpg

I built (3) 7mm Rem Mag rifles in October 2009.
(2) were on 1908 Braz Mauser actions [These Mausers cost $150 from Century in Dec 2008]
(1) was on a Braz VZ24 Mauser action. [These Mausers cost $150 from Century in Dec 2008]
I took off the Mauser 7mm barrels.
I used $33 Rem700 take off barrel on one.
I used a $14 stainless Win M70 barrel on one.
I used a $185 Lothar Walther barrel on one.

All three got large Limbsaver recoil pads that I did not grind to match the stock butt. I left them large for more surface area.

65.5 gr H4350 162 gr Hornady SST moly 3.34", 3050 fps

None cost much or kick hard.

You already have a 7mag, and a 308, etc. If it were me Id go with something simple with a ready supply of bullet wt's for different tasks. Why not the good ol' 30-06? 220gr big uglies down to the tiny 55gr accelerators. Same standard long action bolt face, you can find and buy bullets ANYWHERE, and its a very versitile light recioling ''do all round''. Besides everybody needs an -06 in thier collection, its kinda like a 30-30, you dont realy know why you need one, you just do, to round out the collection:D
Nothin at all wrong with the 280 either, but you open the door to so many more bullet wt's with a 30 cal. And for a factory ammo shooter, youd be very hard pressed to find something as versitile.
Good luck

+1 on the .30-06. It's a great cartridge for deer and about any other game that size and larger. Ammo available anyplace on the planet, good selection of bullets, good barrel life, easy to shoot. Stick a 3-9x40 BDC scope on it and you have a no muss, no fuss, work real fine, last long time, muzzle to 500 yard with no scope clicking deer and larger rifle.

Fitch

Your correct that many people will say the 280 is better for deer sized game than the 7mm. I think the reason they say that is they think the 7mm will kill them dead to much. Maybe the 280 wont kill them quite as dead. Personally I like the availability of 7mm rem mag components vs 280. Once that is said I really like them both..

Your correct that many people will say the 280 is better for deer sized game than the 7mm. I think the reason they say that is they think the 7mm will kill them dead to much. Maybe the 280 wont kill them quite as dead. Personally I like the availability of 7mm rem mag components vs 280. Once that is said I really like them both..

I think the 7mm has better bullet options for reloading than the .280 AI.....

:D:D:D

I can't keep a straight face and say that....LOL

.280 AI is a wicked caliber, and virtually mirrors the 7mm RemMag in ballistics.

I hardly think a deers vital area would notice the difference between the two as a matter of fact it's not even worth mentioning.

This is an old thread.
I have built yet another 7mmRM........... the best long range deer cartridge.

I think the reason they say that is they think the 7mm will kill them dead to much. Maybe the 280 wont kill them quite as dead.

Bart Bobbitt says he does not kill deer with a cartridge, he does it with a bullet.
He says a lot of things that are counter to my bad human nature:)

I hope this thread is alive next year, and I will maybe have ANOTHER 7mmRM pic to post.

Attachments

• Rem700 Shilen #3 taper stainless 7mmRM High Tech Specialties stock concave pillar bed EGW mount .jpg
    Rem700 Shilen #3 taper stainless 7mmRM High Tech Specialties stock concave pillar bed EGW mount .jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 60
I have 2 7mm RemMags, and have had 3 (1 is gone thanks to a thief), but have started gathering parts for my next custom build, which is going to be a .280 AI. I am a fan of all things 7mm. I got a 7mm-08, (2) 7mm RemMags, and a 7mm STW. So naturally I want the jump inbetween the 7mm-08 and 7 RM...Which is the .280 AI.

Plus, barrel life is good (I heard it lasts much better than a 7Mag), and it uses non-belted brass, so they should last longer. But can still reach 7RM velocities.

So for me the next step is the .280 AI. Not to mention that I got everything to reload it, minus the brass and dies.

I have 2 7mm RemMags, and have had 3 (1 is gone thanks to a thief), but have started gathering parts for my next custom build, which is going to be a .280 AI. I am a fan of all things 7mm. I got a 7mm-08, (2) 7mm RemMags, and a 7mm STW. So naturally I want the jump inbetween the 7mm-08 and 7 RM...Which is the .280 AI.

Plus, barrel life is good (I heard it lasts much better than a 7Mag), and it uses non-belted brass, so they should last longer. But can still reach 7RM velocities.

So for me the next step is the .280 AI. Not to mention that I got everything to reload it, minus the brass and dies.

Sounds to me like you need a .280 Sherman:D......Rich

I built a rifle on the 280AI for a friend of mine while he was in Iraq. Awesome cartridge! I really really didn't want to let that one go, but the look on the guy's face was by far worth it. I think he almost pee'd a little lol:cool:

Alfred....I have never been a fan of the SAUM's, WSM, or WSSM's. Just a personal preference. Back when I worked in the gun and equipment sales industry (11 years ago) the WSM's and SAUM's were just coming about. Something about them just never really clicked with me. I've always been partial to regular sized cartridges. Plus, the SAUM's and WSM's really burn throats on barrels like the RUM's do. I know when we're in this sport that nobody really worries about barrel life, but to me a plus factor is better barrel life. I keep my toys for life, I don't sell them, so I want them to last as long as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts