Why shoot deer size game with a 280 over 7mm rem mag?

Prove it....:D

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but I have never heard anything but that they burn throats and are not easy on barrels.

I can prove it! The RUM holds 110+ grains of powder and the WSM holds around 80. SAUM around 74. They all have the same bore size and the neck lengths are similar, and in fact the saum has a longer neck. Shoulder angles are also close or the same. No more proof is needed. It isn't rocket science!......rich

I can prove it! The RUM holds 110+ grains of powder and the WSM holds around 80. SAUM around 74. They all have the same bore size and the neck lengths are similar, and in fact the saum has a longer neck. Shoulder angles are also close or the same. No more proof is needed. It isn't rocket science!......rich

I'll hold true to my word....I guess I was wrong. I have just always heard that...

Thanks for the clarification Rich.

Bart Bobbitt posts from 20 years ago before the www had gun forums:

Rule 2. Increase bore capacity powder charge by:

100%, barrel life shortens 75%

50%, barrel life shortens 67%

25%, barrel life shortens 33%

There is another rule that makes a lot of sense but doesn't take into account the lesser variables such as shoulder angle, neck length, powder temp, etc., and goes something like this. Every rifle will shoot approx. (X) number pounds of powder per bore size. i.e. if a rum shoots 90 grains per load and an '06 shoots 60 grains per load, the '06 will last 50% longer all else equal. This is basically saying the same thing as Bobbit in a different way......Rich

I'll hold true to my word....I guess I was wrong. I have just always heard that...

Thanks for the clarification Rich.

Rich did a nice job of clearing that up, notice he brought known facts from actual use of those cartridges and even improving them not "hearing" them at a gun counter.

Why so concerned all of the sudden about barrel life in this thread when in another your pushing a 6.5 STW, and why do you shoot a 7 STW when you could get much better life and accuracy from a 7 WSM, why all of the concern just over the WSM?

No concern my friend....Just never cared for them. Not degrading their abilities or performance, just voicing my opinion.

And yes, I have had my 7STW for 11 years with the same original barrel on it, and she still shoots 1 ragged hole groups. I never said anything about the 6.5 STW having good barrel life. I said it had incredible speed and accuracy.

Back to the topic.
Good question, why a 280 over the 7 mag for deer size game. I have had both, and could find no reason to choose the 280 over the 7 mag for anything. If one is worried about too much power shooting hell out of a deer, use a tougher bullet.
I read a lot of comments about the 7 mag being finicky about loads. I have owned 4 now, and had no problem developing accurate loads for all.
If I had to choose one round to shoot everything, prairie dogs to elk, it would be the 7 mag.
Here's a good one for you; my LR varmint rifle is a 7 mag. My elk rifle is a .270 WSM.
I am shooting varmints past 1000 yards and the high BC of those 180 gr Berger VLD's makes for a very accurate ELR gun.
I shoot the elk rifle out to 800 yards, but wouldn't expect to shoot elk with it much beyond 600. Shooting 140 gr bullets out of this light weight rifle is similar to shooting the heavy bullets out of the 13.5 lb 7 mag. Recoil of both is moderate.
What scope are you using on your 7? Is the rifle gnat's *** accurate? Your money might be better spent on a Nightforce or Schmidt Bender scope, or a barrel and action/trigger job if accuracy is not at least 1/2 MOA.
Make that 7 sing and you'll be a happy man.

Don't overlook the 6.5 Creedmoor. I just started using one and I am very happy with it. I used it at a long range hunting class last month and it is very impressive. Once I got dope figured, I was making first round hits to 1000 yards with very little recoil. This gun would be great for sheep, deer antelope, goats etc. It would also be perfect for anyone sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast. Good luck in your quest.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.