why not 338 rum instead of lapua

ig25

looking to get another rifle build going. I am leaning toward a 338 rum instead of a lapua.
anything the has lapua on it doubles the price. as I argue with myself on this. the brass quality of lapua is what makes it hard not to go with the lapua. I use it with my 223,243,308
but I love my 300rum with a 30" bull barrel. and have a good amount brass.
what do you think? and why?

Couple reasons.
1- The 338 RUM isn't the same case as the 7RUM or the 300RUM it is smaller and VERY VERY hard to get! probably pay just as much for the lapua brass.
2- If your going big for long range why give up the little extra that the lapua offers plus the (name) if your into that.

The RUM is a good cartridge but I just wouldn't build one. If I was buying a used outfit and it was a RUM I would have no problem at all with it. If I was building no chance. I would also bypass the lapua for a 338 edge, it is what the 338 RUM should have been more case capacity and speed than the RUM or the Lapua and the brass is easiest and cheapest of the 3 to buy.

looking to get another rifle build going. I am leaning toward a 338 rum instead of a lapua.
anything the has lapua on it doubles the price. as I argue with myself on this. the brass quality of lapua is what makes it hard not to go with the lapua. I use it with my 223,243,308
but I love my 300rum with a 30" bull barrel. and have a good amount brass.
what do you think? and why?

Like everyone else I have an opinion about the 338 RUM and will share it with you.

From a standpoint of velocity, the 338 rum will stay pretty much with the Lapua as long as pressures remain the same (SAMME SPEC)

The Lapua brass is more expensive than the RUM but it is stronger and should last longer.

The RUM's don't need a special bolt face and a mag box that will handle the larger case of the
338 Lapua .

Both the 338 RUM and the 338 Lapua are great cartridges and is a hard choice. The rum does not have the powder capacity that the Lapua does but other things make it a good choice.

I have a 338 RUM that is Elk medicine out to 1300 yards (Where energy falls below what I want for Elk) so is more necessary? If it is then I would build ether a 338 Edge or a 338 Lapua Improved.

The Lapua has a one grain edge in powder capacity over the Edge but if you improve the Lapua it will extend this margin and assist shooting the 300 grain bullets. so there are lots of choices in 338s
from the 338 RCM to the 338 Excalibur.

So, If I were to build another 338 that was not a wildcat it would be 338 RUN or the 338 Edge

I am however testing a new wildcat 338 design of my on based on the 375 RUM (Standard Magnum bolt face)That will hold an average of 9 grains more powder than the 338 Lapua to compete with the 338/378 without the hassle of pricy hard to find brass and actions to build on.

Bigger is not better in all cases, Just bigger

J E CUSTOM

Dragman makes some good points. Feeding .338 RUM has had it'd difficulties. The "EDGE" has likely overtaken the RUM as the "standard", much like the .284 Winchester wildcats out number the parent cartridge.

My partner has the "EDGE", I have the RUM. Side by side I don't see a big advantage. To qualify that, we don't try to keep a 300 grain bullet supersonic as long as possible. Our rifles are more standard weight hunting rifles. He's running 28" barrel, and I'm at 26". If we move to ELR the advantage goes to the "EDGE".

This will catch some flack, but I don't like the idea of the Lapua in "standard" actions. At this point if I was to commit to an ELR rifle I'd get a custom action, big enough to run the larger capacity cases hard.

The Lapua has earned it's place by performing in extreme environments all over the globe. It's not really all that much more expensive at the end of the day if it's what you want.

This same topic just recently came up in a different thread, and I'll say the same thing with a bit more explanation. It more or less echos what J E Custom just posted.

My 338 RUM is for elk hunting, and I backpack hunt for elk, so weight is a huge factor for me. In that previous thread on the same topic, I said that I cannot shoot my 'lighter' 10 pound 338 RUM as accurately as some of my other heavier rifles. That is not entirely true, and it comes down to how I shoot my 338 RUM. I practice shooting my 338 RUM just like I hunt... with my backpack out on the ground, gun over the backpack, in less than ideal positions.

I have a 338 WSM that weighs 7.25 pounds with the scope, and I have shot some rocks at ridiculous distances (well beyond the effective range for elk) when I've got a rock-solid perfect shooting position. I rarely come across perfect prone setups while I'm hunting, and never have found one when an elk is in view at those kinds of distances.

But, as long as my rest is solid I would feel comfortable shooting out to about 1200 yards at an elk with my 338 RUM... and that is still not utilizing the full potential of the cartridge. So anything with more velocity is just not needed for how I hunt. So I probably could just have said that I hunt elk out to Long Range, but not ELR. So the RUM works great for me.

How I look at it is if you want to upgrade that Rem 700 to thump elk at range chamber it up in a 338 RUM, if you want a sweet long range custom elk thumper but want the option of buying ammo from the shelf go 338 RUM. If you want a full custom elk thumper, wind defying Berger launcher and handloading is the only option you care for, go 338 Lapua Improved. I build 3-1 RUM's to Lapua's, both awesome IMO for different reasons!!

This will catch some flack, but I don't like the idea of the Lapua in "standard" actions. At this point if I was to commit to an ELR rifle I'd get a custom action, big enough to run the larger capacity cases hard.

I don't think this should catch any flack for saying that. Jim Borden writes a great article on this very topic, here's the link to the article.

http://bordenrifles.com/338_lapua.pdf

Like everyone else I have an opinion about the 338 RUM and will share it with you.

From a standpoint of velocity, the 338 rum will stay pretty much with the Lapua as long as pressures remain the same (SAMME SPEC)

The Lapua brass is more expensive than the RUM but it is stronger and should last longer.

The RUM's don't need a special bolt face and a mag box that will handle the larger case of the
338 Lapua .

Both the 338 RUM and the 338 Lapua are great cartridges and is a hard choice. The rum does not have the powder capacity that the Lapua does but other things make it a good choice.

I have a 338 RUM that is Elk medicine out to 1300 yards (Where energy falls below what I want for Elk) so is more necessary? If it is then I would build ether a 338 Edge or a 338 Lapua Improved.

The Lapua has a one grain edge in powder capacity over the Edge but if you improve the Lapua it will extend this margin and assist shooting the 300 grain bullets. so there are lots of choices in 338s
from the 338 RCM to the 338 Excalibur.

So, If I were to build another 338 that was not a wildcat it would be 338 RUN or the 338 Edge

I am however testing a new wildcat 338 design of my on based on the 375 RUM (Standard Magnum bolt face)That will hold an average of 9 grains more powder than the 338 Lapua to compete with the 338/378 without the hassle of pricy hard to find brass and actions to build on.

Bigger is not better in all cases, Just bigger

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the great info.
I was considering a custom build. But in SE kansas there know where to shoot insane yardages. So was leaning towards an 338 rum. Shoot it while I wait on a new barrel. If there was a big percentage gained with the lapua then maybe. Last time I looked at the edge. Reloading dies and brass was as much as lapua.
Thanks everyone

I ran into x guide friend of mine while hunting near last week of season. I was checking out his rescent build,made for packing and hunting. It was a 338 RUM on a Dieviant,in a Manners I believe 26 inch braked.Had ELK Killer ingraved in. He was shooting 300 nabs at 2745. It was a sweet clean build. I was like, I love that rifle let me play with it, shot many 1-2 @ 400 yrd.He works at Defiance and knows my 338 NM,could have anything he wants well...

I ran into x guide friend of mine while hunting near last week of season. I was checking out his rescent build,made for packing and hunting. It was a 338 RUM on a Dieviant,in a Manners I believe 26 inch braked.Had ELK Killer ingraved in. He was shooting 300 nabs at 2745. It was a sweet clean build. I was like, I love that rifle let me play with it, shot many 1-2 @ 400 yrd.He works at Defiance and knows my 338 NM,could have anything he wants well...

Sounds like a sweet setup. Curious what scope he was running? And if you had to guess how much do think it weighed?

He had a Vortex 14x not sure model I dont own one. He said rifle not as light as my Norma bare is 7-2oz. His outfit was around 9 #.Stock was a slim sporter type had a nice feel to it.He and hunting bud both run 300 nab and his bud shoots norma at his same velocity and they use his G7BR2 lazer for both.

I have had a lot of experience with many rifles in both calibres.
Overall I would say that the .338 RUM has been a more accurate cartridge and is easier to find an accurate load for.
Performance is the same.
Brass life with Remington .338 RUM brass is excellent unless you push it too hard.
.338 RUM brass is easy to make from .300 RUM brass if you cant find any .338 RUM brass.
The .338 RUM has a smaller bolt face. So no need for a larger diameter action than a standard Remington 700 clone action. This means you can use cheaper after market stocks designed for that size action.
.338 Lapua actions are generally larger in diameter and so need different inlets for the action.
Larger diameter actions and the .338 Lapua cartridge require larger diameter barrels at the knox. So can result in heavier for the same length.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.