338 Lapua versus 338 RUM

Sounds like the only difference between the 338 RUM Improved and the 338 Lapua is the quality of brass, and the Lapua needs a larger action.

I'm not at all opposed to a 34" barrel, and I could easily be swayed to go a little longer. I grew up carrying a Kentucky Longrifle, so long heavy rifles feel natural to me.

Tell some more about this 30 Wolf, how does it compare to the 300 RUM or the 300 Rum improved? I was digging around in the Archives looking for information on it when I came across this thread.

A little tidbit I thought I'd throw in for you gurus.
smile.gif
338/378wby 300gr SMK, 32" barrel 115gr H870 at 4.1 OAL at 100yds.

fce6d571.jpg

[ 12-23-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

The barrel has little taper, Rem 700 and Choate tactical stock. A minimal investment with good return. I hate the feel of grip on the stock though. It is a solid shooter in a good rest with groups always .5-.8 moa out to 600 yards, .8-1.2 moa on a decent day at 1000. It has a Holland brake that is very effective too. Got a new digital camera so I'll get a pic so you can see the taper on it.

I traded my dad my LH Rem 700 358 Norma for his SS synthetic 308 Savage Striker with a Burris 2-7 this weekend. I wonder how it would do with a 338 or 30 Lapua Imp in a long barrel, we'll probably have to see. My smith has a 30 Cody Express reamer. New bolt face and chamber and wala!

Instead of a .338 Lapua, have you ever thought about a .300 Ultra Mag???

I recently had my Remington Sendero changed from .300WM to .300 Ultra.

with the .300WM i was happily hitting targets out to 1700 yards with Lapua 185gr projectiles, i tried using heavier projectiles but the recoil was too much, after all i am a skinny 6 ft guy, i solved the recoil problem with heavier slugs by putting on a muzzle break, but i believe the better projectiles for the .300Wm are the Lapua 185 gr projectiles as they give great B.C at a good price.

I old army sniper mate of mine had changed his 300WM to .300 Ultra topped off with a nightforce scope and after using that rig, i was truly impressed especially when we were extending our shooting out past 2200 yards.

We had looked at using .338 Lapua, there bigger rounds and we found that with using the .300 Ultra we were saving money in reloading and still doing the shooting that we wanted to.

So alot of us who are serving in the NZ army as snipers and those who have retired but still stay in touch with the unit all have rigs other than what we were using while in the Army. We are always on the search for a better round and i personnally believe i at least have found it with the 300 ultra.

No one to my knowledge has a.338 Lapua, not yet anyway but there are quite a few .300WM's, 7mm STW, .300 ultra Mag and some other wild cats being used.

But remember other than the calibre, you also need good optics, i have just ordered a Nightforce scope as they give clear resolution and give me the minutes of angle for right out past 2200 yards for which i could not get with my weaver, with my weaver 6-16x i had to have hold over past 1700 yards even though i was already using shims on the scope rings.

What ever your choice, happy shooting.

Farmer

I own the 338 RUM and have reloaded the brass 10 times, so for this gun Remington is making good brass. I had some new Remington brass for my Rem. 416 and shot a reload in reload book spects and the mouth of the shell came off in my gun. Had to take it to a gunsmith friend of mine to get the mouth of the shell taken out of my gun. Then I ordered some Bell brass for that gun.

Here's an earlier thread on the 30 Wolf Wildcat

You might find this wildcat interesting also:

With the experience gained from the development of the 338 SABI, the 270 SABI and now the 338 VOSCHOL we are able to manufacture the rifle of almost any wildcat. We can make the case forming dies and also the reloading dies, as long as it is done on the three base sizes and existing bullets available. The 338 Voschol is a 500 Jeffery case necked down to shoot a 338 bullet. For those who would like a real fast big bore we plan to neck down the 500 Jeffery case to .375, .416 and .458. The latter being in development process

Caliber Choices @ Sabi Rifles

Then, there's always the 550 Magnum - "The .550 Magnum was designed to use a 3" Weatherby cylindrical case and a 700 gr bullet from Hawk which gives us a 3.810" and an 800 gr bullet which gives us a 3.830" OAL cartridge. Using Bell Weatherby cylindrical which is 2.920" long and a 700 gr bullet gives us a 3.730" and a 800 gr bullet gives us a 3.750" OAL cartridge."

550 Magnum Homepage

GOOD LUCK!
wink.gif

I own the 338 Rum and have found this rifle very satisfing.Accure, has the power and its a Remington 700 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts