Why no female rifle smiths?

royinidaho

Was just thinking the other evening. What's the deal??

Plus the smiths that hang around here aren't all that good to look at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From looking at Shawn's son's pic and Kirby's daughter's pic one can tell that they both got there good looks from their dads.........Cause their mothers still have theirs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oooohhhh boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I sure hope you don't need any smith work done in the near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where did I put that "Bad Customer List" I have a new name to put on it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In all seriousness however, smiths spend alot of time chewing the fat with customers, can you imagine if we had a pretty little girl as a smith, you hounds would never leave her alone to get any work done!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Shawn
I knew of a gunsmith that was looking for a good counter person when he had the same thought as you that a young women would take some of the heat off of him. So he interviewed three young women, the first one had years of experience as a receptionist and the daughter of a gunsmith, the second was experienced as a book keeper and was an experienced shooter, the third was a business expert a shooter of some ability and the only daughter in a family of 7 brothers so she could handle any gruff customers.
I told him that was a tough decision what was he going to do, He just gave me a look that said I was a moron and said " It wasn't a hard choice at all, I hired the one with the biggest breasts dummy!"
Now realizing his criteria for hiring, I gave him the look and said " Your the dummy if she's doing the job right that ain't the side you'll be seeing from the back of shop.

Shawn wrote...
Your the dummy if she's doing the job right that ain't the side you'll be seeing from the back of shop.

But think of all the new customers she will bring in.you know a nice pair of (puppies) is like a becan the dose strange things to men.Like make them spend money on flowers.Go in a (STORE) they normaly wouldn't go it.and besides the view might not be bad from ether angle.

remember make her chair a trampoline and everyone will be at work early...

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that a shapely, friendly front desk girl that knew nothing about rifles would be perfect. I could get more work done, no one would care if I was in or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn, you're almost right, almost... don't forget your wife!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This thread sure is a can of worms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Guess I'll have to build my own from now on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif In fact I just drilled a straight hole for 1.265" the other day. The twist is a little fast though, and a wierd bore. Rifled it with 5/16x18 threads. If I keep it a short barrel type I'll do pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW how well do aluminum barrels hold up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You guys would probably spend alot more time in the shop if you had a hot little receptionist (I know I would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Ok ok , yopu guys have pressured me into this comment and I'm sure that your gonna tell your wife and their gonna think I'm an *** but it won't be the first time.

All babys are males right up till they are born then the peckers fall off the dumb ones !!

On the real side though , I work with several very talented machinest that are women they make parts that are just as good as any man out their and theur attention to detail is just as good if not better than most of the machinist they work with. I'm sure that if they wanted they could be great gun builders. This machine shop cuts parts that are measued to the millionths and have a finish that is guaged in bands of light !!! basicaly if you rub it with a sheet of paper it'll get scratched. So the tallent is their.

I have actually run across a couple of very talented female gunsmiths, all were specialty smiths thier work revolving around detail work, engraving & stock making. Dakota arms has several working for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.