Why is the 6mm so successful at matches?

I guess what I meant is that they get affected by conditions more. I guess in a nice calm day the 6mm would be more accurate.

I stand corrected. But when the wind picks up I put down my 6 BRX and reach for the 6.5-284 or the 6.5X47 Lapua!

-X3M
The ONLY 1450/1450 ever shot in the NRA high power long range championship was shot with the 6xc by David Tubb. That round as well as the 6br and it's improved kittens really roar when you look over scores for the whole season. Want better wind performance a 243 or 243ai will push the same 115 from 31-3250fps. The extra umph with the same BC as the 6.5 142smk's and still less recoil will give you an edge

The only experience I have is in F-Class, and I don't think any of the top competitors will use a 6mm for Long Range. Almost everyone is going to 7mm's so that they can shoot the 180 gr. bullets, more recoil but the wind bucking capabilities of the 180's are worth the beating.

The US F-Class Open team used the 6.5-284, now they are going to 7mm, possibly the 284 Win. or 284 Shehane. I guess what I'm saying is that the 6mm's might be more accurate but in F-Class, if you make a bad wind call the 6mm will get blown into the 8 ring while a 7mm will get blown into the 9 ring, and one point is one point at the end of the day!

-X3M

The reason the team uses the 6.5 is to make easier to coach and call dope. If they all shoot the same round at same velocity window corrections can be done much more quickly.
Here's an article with people with vastly more experience. They are doing a straight comparison with the 6br family. Throw in the bigger faster 6's that push to 3300 fps and they can hang with the fat 7's without the price of recoil
F-Class
My experience in center fire was limited to a few matches a year no sooner than 18 yrs ago. I did however compete in sporting clays quite seriously. The benefits of less recoil were crystal clear. I started with heavy trap 1 1/8th load. By the time I stopped I was using 3/4 oz loads I didn't do well until I shed the recoil of the heavier loads. I was lucky enough to win my state championship 3 times. The faster loads with less recoil allowed me better target concentration. In shooting the more you can control you sub conscious the better. You keep beating yourself with recoil your brain will pay you back at the most inopportune time.
The main reason I say this is I developed a detached retina from shooting. I had it fixed but I cannot compete at the level I once was at. If I can pass on just one thing to prevent that from happening to someone else I will do whatever to do that.

How 'bout the top 10?

Check out what they did at Williamsport this year. Wasn't there a world record set there just recently?
I think someone down in Tucson did good too or was it Reno?

Hey, and didn't Ricard Shatz get a big Redding ad for setting some kind of world record with his 6br dasher? Thought it was in a magazine around here somewhere..........

In 2008 at Byers Richard Schatz broke the record again with a 5.3702" 6 target LG agg. Not to be outdone Glen Sterling Jr. shot a 5.3328" 6 target LG agg. at the match and is the current record holder. Both were shooting the 6mm Dasher.

Duane "Crossfire" Capehart also won HG Group and Score with a 6mm Dasher at the 2008 NBRSA Nationals.
Richard Schatz won overall with the Dasher.

James

F class is all about reading the wind and holding for it. ergo flatter and more wind bucking bullets such as 6.5-284 and 7mms. However, the 6BR improveds hold their own and win their share Plus in F class they hold team comps where it is norm for the entire team to shoot the same caliber at the same MV so when the coach gives a wind call, they can all dial in the exact call.

600 yd and 1k BR are not about reading the wind as much, you have to have the absolute best tuned and uniform load. Pick a condition and hammer them off. Good guys can run 10 rounds in HG under 30 seconds. I have run 5" groups of ten shots with a BR improved. Jason Baney in PA won the world open with a standard BR.

Steel matches, the 6.5s and 308s rule normally.

You need to understand most comps are games with specific tricks that lead to certain calibers and guns offering an advantage in that particular game.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.