Why is Midway's shipping so high?

Shiney nose Larry.... I have to chuckle at that comment......:D:D

Candidly, I'm in the Internet business and I ship worldwide and I don't use shipping as a profit center and I really wish that Larry didn't either, but sadly, he does, on smaller orders and it's poor business practice. Another reason to stay away from Flea-Bay, where sellers pad their bottom line with over the top shipping.

I'll take Natchezz or Wideners over Midway, anyday. My Midway purchases are always over their minimum free ship threshold. All other orders go south, literally....... and I don't 'round up' for the NRA. The NRA gets plenty fro me now.

Those 16 buck to ship items should have been $7.50, $9.25 with signature conformation and insurance, not 16 bucks, thats pure unadulterated BS, especially considering the retail markup.

I just had Talley pull the same crap on me with a set of one piece Talley mounts for my Savage 308 LWH. and they got a scalding e-mail from me as well as a nasty phone call.

For really refreshing shipping rates, I recommend Dvor. I just bought a Pelican Storm Case for my .338 LRH and it shipped to me for $9.50. It weighed 20 pounbds, was 56" long x 16" wide x 8" deep in the box.... and multiple items bought on the same day ship at the initial ship price. Thats good business and one reason why I frequent them.

Neil at Cameraland is high on my list too. Free shipping and expedited service, no charge.

I mainly use Graf's and Sons.I use others such as Midsouth, Midway, and Russ Haydon Shooters Supply, if Graf's and Sons don't have what I want. Graf's and Sons is $6.95 shipping and handling only plus you can order the same lots of bullets and brass.

Great additions to my list guys. Total price with or without shipping is the key. I'm a shopper too. I've shipped a few items I've sold to friends so does anyone know the best and or cheapest way to ship stuff? I'd like to know for reference in the future.

Overall, I like MidSouth Shooters Supply best for their inventory, price, and shipping rates. They get most of my on-line purchasing business. Powder and primers have been bought from my local dealer ever since the Haz-Mat fees made mail ordering them a "bad deal".

I was surprised to read here that MidWay has free shipping on orders over $100. All of my orders are over $100. Small orders never have cost effective shipping no matter which major shooting supplier you use. At least not IMO.

While I think that it is important to support our local dealers and don't mind paying them a bit more, I have yet to find a local dealer that has any kind of component inventory.

Great additions to my list guys. Total price with or without shipping is the key. I'm a shopper too. I've shipped a few items I've sold to friends so does anyone know the best and or cheapest way to ship stuff? I'd like to know for reference in the future.

I have accounts with all the major carriers, UPS, Fed-EX and DHL as well as USPS. For domestic service you can't beat USPS for cost plus the delivery window (total transit time) is better than any private carrier, typically 3-4 days cross continent whereas the private carriers are over a week for ground service. Private carrier rates are markedly higher.

On offshore shipments, again, it's USPS for price. There are a couple issues with USPS. One is size limitation, 2, you can't ship firearms or live ammo or a host of other prohibited items, 3, tracking on offshore shipments can be real spotty once the package leaves US soi, however, on offshore shipments, there is a customs waybill number attached to every shipment that allows tracking by the recipient.

Domestic is USPS hands down for price and convenience (they will pick up the package at your residence plus they provide supplies and boxes free of charge), tracking is excellent, delivery is excellent, price is better than the private carriers plus you can prepare the shipment and pay online and print your postage paid labels on your printer, for free. (forget the stamps.com crap, the Post Office has their own site....)

Offshore, it's a crap shoot depending on what you send. keep in mind however, that everything 'lands' on the same plane in the country you ship to, despite what the advertising says.

Also of interesting note is that UPS uses what they call a hybrid ship method for domestic shipments, which is shipment to the nearest post office to the recipient and then USPS delivers the package.

Again, firearms and parts or ammo or any ORM-D substance or regulated item can't ship USPS in the states or outside the states. Thay have to go private carrier.

All said and done, Midway and shiney nose Larry are still sticking it up your anus on small, under 100 dollar shipments. Anytime you price items on the net from websites, price the ship cost as well and then add the ship cost and compare to the competition, so long as the competition has what you want....

Sinclair is probably the cheapest. Not by much, maybe a few dollars. I did the same thing when I got my total cost figured and then checked out Sinclair.

Final closure...

Yes, Amazon has the items but these items go to other "Amazon" retailers; each item to a different retailer and each with independent shipping cost. By far, the most expensive option.

I chose Graf and Sons; $6 shipping flat.

Of course, once shopping there, I found several other items I urgently needed so the cost rose to well over the Amazon co-mingled arrangement... Now how could that possibly have happened???

Many thanks to everyone for the valued input.

Once I pick something or a group of things, I tally it up and compare it to Natchez, cheaper then dirt and pick the cheapest. Midway often gives free shipping with orders over $100., if that helps.

Thanks for the tip.

I use Midway for almost everything. Here's what I do to avoid the anal desecration referred as "shipping cost" here.

Every month Midway releases discount codes for our use.

$5 or $10 off of $50 purchase...

$10 or $20 off $100 purchase...

$20 off or $200 purchase etc etc etc.

That code usually negates the "special" shipping costs to a more anal retentive level. I get what I want & save some bucks overall, not a bad way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.