WHY I PREP MY BRASS AND FLASH HOLES

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Just an example of why I spend extra time prepping my Brass and turning every Flash Hole with a Reamer from the inside of the Case and also the Primer Pocket.
Some Competition shooters tell me it is a waste of time with all the Prep I do on Brass.
The picture is of a new Lapua 6mm BR Case.

Attachments

• Lapua Brass Flash Hole1.jpg
    Lapua Brass Flash Hole1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 608
  • Lapua Brass Flash Hole 2.jpg
    Lapua Brass Flash Hole 2.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 606
Reloading for me is a hobby. I do it mostly in the winter when I can't shoot or aren't hunting. I always used a single stage press and each and every time I tumble my brass, clean primer pockets and flash holes, run each one through the trimmer, hand prime the cases and weigh each charge and seat the bullet. I'm not into mass production nor do I want to be. But I can be sure that when I pull the trigger if a round doesn't go off its not because of me. In almost 60 years of reloading I only had one box of 20 rounds that didn't go off and found out later that I had a contaminated bottle of RL-7 and it was like that from the store. It was the first time using RL-7 and I noticed it had a yellowish color but I thought that was normal for it.

I am taking the liberty of blowing up the photo to zoom in on what @Coyote Shadow Tracker is showing cause I suspect folks are missing what he means. It could stand a few words for a caption to describe what we are seeing?

View attachment 565536
RegionRat
Thanks for blowing our picture of a piece of brass that we would reload.
If we reloaded this Case without checking it could be a misfire or a problem with ignition.
Fortunately, We check every piece of brass and ream the Flash Holes even though the Manufacture states they are good. I like to "Ream" the inside of the Flash Hole to give it a "Cone" for when the primer ignites there is a "CONE FLASH" that goes into the powder charge.
Now Lapua has been using 0.062 Flash Holes over the standard 0.80 Flash Holes. Now this doesn't relate to Small & Large primer size as being larger for a large primer.
I will try to put another Post with information from Lapua with data to show the difference on Flash Holes for the difference in SD where Lapua has correlated a change form 0.080 to 0.062
In the past I have been using 0.080 Reamers, but have not did any studies on SD between the 0.062 Reamer.
K&M Precision Shooting manufactures both 0.062 and 0.080 Flash Hole Reamers.

I was too busy looking at the cnc case holders. To pay attention to the brass
Yes those Case Holders were made out of a solid block of aluminum. These were the last Case Holders made by Mr. Bob Pastor the "VIPER" on his CNC right before he sold his business. He made one for Jill and one for me to reload our competition Cases. Bob the "Viper" is a Ledgen in the shooting community. Bob also made me the "Viper" Rest for shooting "F" Class. One of the nicest men I ever had the acquaintance to meet in my life. YOU HAVE TO SEE THE 'F' CLASS REST THE "VIPER" MADE ME

Just an example of why I spend extra time prepping my Brass and turning every Flash Hole with a Reamer from the inside of the Case and also the Primer Pocket.
Some Competition shooters tell me it is a waste of time with all the Prep I do on Brass.
The picture is of a new Lapua 6mm BR Case.
I do this same thing. Kinda always have since I started reloading. It's just something that I was taught to do by my brother and uncle. They both shot competition and were very tedious with everything . lol. But myself I like plinking a little bit and coming up with some good hunting loads. They told me that it's always better to have a more consistent fire from the primer. Which kinda makes sense because I've cleaned and reamed some primers that looked pretty bad. Plus I get to play in my shop a little bit more.

Running through the flash holes and uniforming the primer pockets is a one time thing for the life of the brass. I have the tools and it's not that big of a deal on the time waster scale. Plus you can do these stages in front of the boob toob. I do these stages regardless of brass manufacture.
100% agree here.

HAAAA HAAAAA!!!!!
In an older magazine published in the day a fellow shooter wrote "If in your own mind you believe it has the desired effect you're after then it does"
From Precision Shooting magazine. Mr. Brennan if you happen to read this, I surely miss that magazine every month!