Why do two people(not gun store) need an FFL??

AtownBcat

I was hopeing that someone could explain if i wanted to sell a gun to someone on this board (or any other one)why a FFL is required? Maybe most of the sellers are shops and in that case i get it...

I was hopeing that someone could explain if i wanted to sell a gun to someone on this board (or any other one)why a FFL is required? Maybe most of the sellers are shops and in that case i get it...

I was going to type a general response, but then I remembered that the FAQ section of the BATF website would probably better serve to answer any questions that you may have.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

Take care.

OK so i think i get it. If i was buying from someone here in Texas we would not need an FFL, but from any other state we would.

Contrary to what is commonly stated; when engaging in the inter-state sale of a long gun you are NOT required to ship from a FFL. You may ship from an individual to a receiving FFL. The notion that you MUST ship FFL to FFL is not true according to the NYC ATF office.

Handgun transfers are a horse of a different color.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.