Why different primers

I'm guessing they use the Primewhere ?

Thanks. I guess my question should be, is the "2thou" for example referring to how deep from case end is seated? I seat my primers with RCBS Ram and I can easily adjust the depth. For the type I needed for a the last few years, flush seating was fine.

I have said this here many times and have been poo-pooed by many, to verify a load, especially shooting F-class or other forms of comp, you NEED to shoot 3 10 shot groups to get an average group size.
You can determine your loads at 100, but then verify at 600 as I described. One 3 shot group will tell you what groups closely together at 100, but it won't be the same at 300, 600 or 1,000.
Barrel life to me is not a consideration for NOT shooting verifying groups, even in a non comp gun.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Cheers.

Originally this was a long range hunting forum. Now it has that name, but everyone and his brother come here. The guy who will not shoot his rifle farther than 300 yards does not need the absolute best load his rifle can produce. My longest rock chuck was 527 yards away. My longest deer shot was 274 yards and my longest elk shot was exactly 400 yards.

The elk was killed with a guaranteed 2MOA rifle. I knew I could hit withing 4" of aiming spot at 400 yards, so laid down over a berm, which was as steady as a benchrest, and aimed at the center of the chest. The Nosler 160 partition took off the top of the heart and destroyed the arteries.

For the Eastern hunter, these ranges are "long range". But for the folks on this sight, these were all short to very short ranges. Never-the-less, I enjoyed them. In fact, I remember getting buck fever over a three point buck I killed. I posted a photo of it with its smallish rack. One of our .com friends bragged and posted a photo of his "long range" killed monster four point buck. I asked him if he got buck fever and he said, "No." "Then I had more fun than you," I responded.

Mike can you explain the "2thou" measurement? What do you measure exactly
.002" crush is the amount of pellet crush in regard to where the anvil and cup are flush. Once the two bottom on the pocket, as measured, then a further .002", .003" or .004" is applied. This is how much pellet compression is taking place. Some primers like more than others.

Cheers.

Indicated K&M sm.jpg

The main thing you see is uniform ES/SD results. When primer ignition is at its most consistent, the start pressure becomes very uniform and this is where the results are generated. Without testing this, there is always the possibility that ignition will be erratic and it affects the entire load. It may even look like the powder isn't suitable for application, but this will change that. It won't change a crappy load in every or any situation into a BR load...however.
An example, my 7STW brass, has a pocket so deep that I can only get .002" crush at .008" depth, loads are good, but not exceptional, I am running WLRM in that and Fed 210's I tried had no crush at all with .008" depth. In my previous WLRM testing, they like .004" crush.

Cheers.

Have you seen changes in primer depth be as effective as overall linked changes?
Depends on what you mean by 'effective'.
Given no gun problems,, biggest to smallest affect to results:

PREREQUISITES
Bullet seating
Primer ignition
Case expansion energy
Load density

TUNING
System (rest/hold/balance/recoil/level, etc)
Barrel timing
Powder attributes and pressure
Neck tension

An extreme can override others,, sometimes good,, usually bad.
And this is not an order of progression, but a mere ranking of affects.

Last edited: