Why did SOCOM ditch the .300NM for PRC?

.30cal fanatic

Anyone know the real reason? Seemed they had been so convinced about the Norma then the release of the PRC kinda steam rolled it immediately before it (Norma) even got adopted. Does this have to do with utilising existing Rem 700's down the track and rechamber into PRC? Or is it the fact they can source ammo easily from an American company? From my understanding it's an all new platform anyway (Barret) and they had free choice on what to use... so why go down in velocity ?

I read an article that related to the pressure inconsistencies caused by shooting at various angles with the 300NM compared to the PRC. The NM was having issues when the rifle was canted past a certain angle. IDK if this is the sole reason, but i believe it may be a contributing factor.

I read an article that related to the pressure inconsistencies caused by shooting at various angles with the 300NM compared to the PRC. The NM was having issues when the rifle was canted past a certain angle. IDK if this is the sole reason, but i believe it may be a contributing factor.
Powder fill ratio maybe?

I read somewhere when Norma showcased the cartridge it did have some issues when being shot at heavy angles due to the low case fill and poor powde choice by Norma. Move to a slower powder and problem solved. Still may not be the real reason so take that with a grain of salt.

I read somewhere when Norma showcased the cartridge it did have some issues when being shot at heavy angles due to the low case fill and poor powde choice by Norma. Move to a slower powder and problem solved. Still may not be the real reason so take that with a grain of salt.

I heard the same account, but it was regarding the .300 Weatherby. Anyone know if that's correct? Perhaps just similar experience in testing with the Norma?

What I've hear is a combination of the powder fill causing inconsistent velocities when shooting at various steep angles, as well as action size and being able to rechamber current rifles down the road if need be. But who knows the "real" reason!

Who knows what the real logic was for the bureaucrats.... They can come up with a plethora of reasons to justify their conclusion. Worked with way to many bureaucrats in my career (now retired), some good some awful.

Neither the government or the breaucrats have a thing to do with a private companies decisions on what caliber rifle they build. Maybe they figured the two calibers can co-exist but if not then they would have a product out there for which ever way the public favors.

I red the same article and .30 cal's idea: American made and Hornady has a dam good sales rep! LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts