Who's is bigger?

lazylabs

As a novility who is shooting the biggest bore cartridge here? I ask because I keep looking at the nitro and .577 stuff. I will never rifle hunt africa unless power ball is good to me but want to build a thumper just as a "fun to scare your friends with" gun. I have a ruger #1V that needs a new barrel and what the heck. What else can you spend $1000 for and get your friends to voulentarily abuse themselves with??

I have a 416weatherby sitting in the gun case
Screech, does that monster have a muzzle break? 34 years ago I saw a guy fire one from the bench, I think he fired it three times and to my understanding he still has it but it hasn't been fired again! :) :D

416 Rigby and a 450 Watts...............
thumb.gif

Bigger and cheaper

If you want something to make your friends jump out of their skin and doesnt cost alot, buy an old Thompson Contender in a 12 inch barrel chambered in 45/70. Its a handful and its great for clearing the gun range when there are idiots around LOL. I once fired one in an inside range and since my barrel wasnt clearing the partition, if was deafening.

Big Bore

Lazylab

I have 2 416's and a 45/110 that are fun to shoot (no muzzle brake)and
my limit is about 50 rds at a time.

The ruger #1 will only take a #5 tapered barrel due to the tang so any
thing from a 378 up should impress your friends.

Anything larger than a 460 in a 8 to 9 lb rifle will be brutal without a brake.

There is a "MAN" in Australia named Clive Downie that shoots a 729 Jongmans
with a 21lb rifle . The 1046gr solid travels at 2265ft/sec for 11941 ft/lbs.

I would think that about .600 head dia would be max for the ruger so plan
well an talk to a good smith before you start a project like this.

Have fun
J E CUSTOM

Bullets should never be in the 1000's of grains, that's just crazy. I am thinking much smaller than that something in the 505 range. It might be cool to get a 50 cal black power of some sort. It's not as punishing but would still be something a little fun to shoot. I still want a little fun to be had by all. 1000 grain bullet.....amazing....

I had a custom built 460 Wby for a while 26" barrel with no brake weighed in at around 9.5lbs or so and was plain stupid painfull to shoot. the actual recoil into the shoulder wasen't to awfully bad but it would snap your head down and forward which lead to a case of whip lash , I also had some pain in my scapula and AC joint after shooting it. I traded it off for a couple AR's , the new owner put a Vais brake on it now it kicks about like a 458 Winchester.

Who's bigger?

Try one of these:

971f-2.jpg

It's a .50/90 and it's favorite bullet is a 720 grainer using 122 grs. Goex 1F Blackpowder. Real accurate to 900 yds.!

I have a 416weatherby sitting in the gun case

Me too. Got one for Africa but for now it does well for the US...until I get there.

POP said:
Actually this was one of three goats on that day!

1st doe fell to the 416 WBY MAG (Heck it is a new gun with no "blood" on it and I could not wait to get to Africa in order to shoot it).

Shot was taken at 452 yds. Right behind the shoulder and out the other.

This is her with my boy! Notice the muzzle break on that 416 MAG! :wink:

416doe.jpg

2nd doe was at 277 yds again with the 416 WBY. One spine hit and she was dead.

Another buck fell to the 264 Win Mag. Shot was at 501 yds right through both shoulders.
Gave up the ghost right there. It was a great hunt. Loads used.
416--330 GS Custom at 3075 fps
264--125 Nosler Partition--3350 fps

I am not familiar with the 450 watts.... What case is that based on?

The 450 Watts is based on the the full lenght 375H&H case,The 458 Lott is a shortened version of the Watts... A 450 Watts can fire 458 Win. 458 Lott and 450 Watts ammo in the same gun....

Sharpsman, Who made your Sharps? Thats a fine looking rifle!

I am considering ordering one in the same caliber you mention from Shilo Sharps in Big Timber!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.