Who to use for a .280 Ackley re-barrel ?

Tikka are easy as they build them all on one action length.

You would need a magazine to accommodate the rounds. A .270,.30-06,.magazine length will accept the .280.

You need a different bolt stop.byhats easy to swap out yourself. You can file or grind some material off the existing bolt stop to allow the bolt to slide back the extra 1/4" or so.

It should be straight forward.

I built my .280 on a .25-06 but the .243 also has the right bolt face.

Because Tikka are modular buy yourself a handful of them, it's an easy swap between stocks and other accessories to reconfigure these for different purposes.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate

I had Gordy Gritters build the rifle but now it's time to re-barrel and his prices are now out of my price range. Who else should I consider?
Have you
I had Gordy Gritters build the rifle but now it's time to re-barrel and his prices are now out of my price range. Who else should I consider?
What did Gordy Quote you?

How much work and money considering.243 is short action and .280 AI being long action. I have a Tikka .243 and you have my mind racing. Thanks
He will work on your bolt stop so you can have a longer bolt travel and you will need a longer magazine, such as a 270 win, 30-06, etc. it's so easy that it's not even a problem. The only thing to keep in mind is with a tikka your longest coal is 3.40" the length of a mountain tatical GEN2 aluminum magazine.

He will work on your bolt stop so you can have a longer bolt travel and you will need a longer magazine, such as a 270 win, 30-06, etc. it's so easy that it's not even a problem. The only thing to keep in mind is with a tikka your longest coal is 3.40" the length of a mountain tatical GEN2 aluminum magazine.
That's close but will work. Thanks

I am unsure about his current workload or how far you are, but you might consider Shawn Carlock at DE. Here's his services list price, https://defensiveedge.net/services/. They seem reasonable.

Fair Warning: If you pay him a visit or talk to him, you might end up with one of his rifles or cartridge instead. 😇 Good luck!

Ed

500 to thread/chamber and crown seems steep

I live in Rhode Island and use a gunsmith in Montana for my gunsmith work. I am paying between $700-800 for a Lilja barrel, that is contoured, chambered, crowned, fitted barrel fitted to my receiver. I like Ruger 77 rifles so this price is based upon my 77 receiver, I don't know if these prices will/would change. He's built four custom rifles for me and I plan to have him build one more in the near future as soon as I figure out what the new cartridge is that I absolutely cannot live without is. I have gotten good performance out of the rifles he has put together for me, I know that they will shoot better than I can shoot them. My son proves this to me every time we go to the range; but, I have traveled 74 tunes around the son and the eyes are not what they used to be. I have been using Lilja barrels because my gunsmith likes the barrels and his shop is located right down the street from the Lilja company; however, he will fit up any barrel that you would prefer. My gunsmith has reamers for just about any cartridge that you would like to chamber, and.....having a shop just down the street from a barrel manufacturer has its advantages.

+1 for Mike, he builts some great shooters, both for benchrest and hunting, a great guy to deal with. He has been one of my mentors. I learned a lot from him.
Yup,. He's an awesome, Machinist / G S with, good / FAIR, Prices, and has, a fairly fast, "Turn around" time, usually !
NO lies or, BS from, him !