Re-barreling to 260, what length of barrel to use.

pat jennings

The question I have is that I'm going to re-barrel my savage model 10 fcp-k from 308 to 260 and can not decide on a barrel length. Should I go with a 26 inch barrel or go with a 30 inch barrel? Contour and taper is not an issue yet, but it will come up later on in the build. Thanks in advance for the advice and input on this, Pat

I split the difference when rebarreling my 243 to 260. 28". Gives me 1 or 2 set backs, not a smith, I only play one on TV:), have to listen to the smiths on this. It may never happen.

The advantages of long is velocity
The advantages of short is stiffness for a given profile+length
The disadvantage of long is whip and weight
The disadvantage of short is velocity "loss" and less room to set it back.

IIWM: 28" Sendoro, Medium or Heavy Palma profiles fluted. I hope the PA guys chime in with 30"+ and some of the mid westerners with 22-24".

You makes you choice and you pays you money.

All the best.

honestly you could make a 23" barrel work very well. A 24" is all you actually need with that case size. The long barrels on paper look good, but don't work as well as shorter barrels in the end. It's all in the harmonics and rigidity. Lilja did a test once with a #7 contour barrel 26" long. He then cut the barrel back to 21", and found it was 2.75 times stiffer
gary

How far do you plan to carry the rifle? What kind of fitness level do yo aspire to? If not very far or you aspire to olympic fitness then a Krieger #17 contour is great at 29 or so inches. If you hike in a ways and exercise only when you have to then a lighter barrel with a little more length may be better. With a 260, I can't see much pay off in velocity vs weight past 26 inches.

Gotta know the application of the firearm and is it a repeater? Also being as its a SA, I'd strongly consider a 6.5creedmoor. I've heard from several that the 6.5c is what the 260 should've been, and the 6.5c is the 260 done right. If I were to build a SA it will be a creedmoor. The CM is a true short action round where as the 260 may be better suited in a LA.

On that note, there is plenty of difference to split the lengths and go 28".I have a 308 cbi bull barrel and its not that thick at the base, and as stated earlier the shorter barrels will be stiffer. I would not hesitate to go w/ a 26" on this build given the case capacity.

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-creedmoor-260-done-right/?p=4

Gotta know the application of the firearm and is it a repeater? Also being as its a SA, I'd strongly consider a 6.5creedmoor. I've heard from several that the 6.5c is what the 260 should've been, and the 6.5c is the 260 done right. If I were to build a SA it will be a creedmoor. The CM is a true short action round where as the 260 may be better suited in a LA.

On that note, there is plenty of difference to split the lengths and go 28".I have a 308 cbi bull barrel and its not that thick at the base, and as stated earlier the shorter barrels will be stiffer. I would not hesitate to go w/ a 26" on this build given the case capacity.

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-creedmoor-260-done-right/?p=4

Interesting point of view. Despite the 260 having a slight velocity advantage in all bullet weights. Then the 260 functioning better in semi guns from the shoulder angle being more forgiving. None of the VLD bullets regardless of manufacture fit to 2.810 and Remington 700 SA magazine length with AI mags gets you to 2.9ish which makes the 140 VLD still limited at seating depth in both calibers. So the 140 VLD in both calibers may be better suited for a long action if one were to maximize OAL and powder capacity. To say the CM is the 260 done right is a real stretch. That is like saying the 243 is the 6mm done right.

Again it would depend on the application for which the rifle is being built, and given that the op has a SA I would choose the CM over the 260 as a repeater. If he plans on single loading it doesn't matter. There is marginal difference between the 2 depending on bullet weight either caliber shines in its own. I will however repeat my smith's words "I haven't seen a CM that won't shoot".

Back on topic... Where is the OP??

I'll look into the creedmore, never thought about it. Yes this is a bolt gun with dm. So I need to worry about col for the magazine. If I was going to use it singles shot I wouldn't worry about it. Thanks for all the input everyone. There are some valid points I need to look at. Again thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.