Who to build a custom rifle

jayb8407

I am going to have a custom rifle built and was curious as to who the forum thought was a good smith to complete the project. What I want is a 1000 to 1500 yard rifle. I have done some varmint shooting and have heard of Gordy Gritters but I was wondering if there is someone special hidden out there.
Jay

There are a few on this board that get great reviews from the forum members who have had rifles built.

In no particular order:
Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver)
Chris Matthews
Shawn Carlock

Everyone seems to agree that Gordy Gritters is very good too.

R.L.Matthews in Calhoun,Ga. is great gunsmith and machinist, just another option.I'm sure the fellows on this forum do good work as well.

I agree with gonehuntingagain. I have never had any of chris matthews or shawn 's work but everyone that speaks of them speaks highly and Kirby's work is top notch that I can personally attest to.

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to have a custom rifle built and was curious as to who the forum thought was a good smith to complete the project. What I want is a 1000 to 1500 yard rifle. I have done some varmint shooting and have heard of Gordy Gritters but I was wondering if there is someone special hidden out there.
Jay

[/ QUOTE ] Bryant Custom It is said this fellow has been able to achieve what you are looking for.

jayb:

This is potentially a very difficult decision for you and a very difficult recommendation for anyone to make. As far as I'm concerned I've never heard a single thing negative about any of the men mentioned above. I have heard nothing but praise for the quality of their work. I doubt that you would go wrong in choosing any of those mentioned above. I've seen examples of all their work and it's great. I also know there are many others that are capable of doing the same work. I spent a considerable length of time planning a new gun and considered the same things you mention and many others.

I chose Kirby Allen to build my new gun and I can say that I've never regretted the decision once. I find Kirby easy to work with, easy to reason with and find that nothing gets left to chance. Every minute detail gets worked out, everything gets planned fully and you will not be in the dark about anything. Something I would look for is that the smith you choose should be active in the type of shooting you are planning. All of those above are, so that's a positive.

Kirby will work with you in the planning of your new gun whether it's a rebuild, remodel, re-barrel, upgrade or a full blown custom. You will find that it really makes it easier to work with a gunsmith that has done it all many times before.

Your decision may even come down to where you are located in relation to the gunsmith you choose. If you live close to a competent gunsmith that may influence you decision however with shipping as easy as it is, everybody is only a day or two away.

If you're like me the hardest part, after making the gunsmith and component decisions is the waiting. I bug Kirby occasionally but have found that as each step progresses and status changes that I am informed. I can tell you from experience that when you lay down a sizeable chunk of change for a new gun you will really appreciate a man that communicates freely with you, the customer.

Put all of your ideas in an e-mail and hook up with Kirby. Won't cost you anything to ask some questions and I'm sure you will be happy with the process. Good luck.

Jay,

custom rigs are addicting.... once you get one you want another ...but hey such is life.....

I have had many... builders... build me a custom rig... some of the top ones around actually...

i never really got exactly what I wanted until I e-mailed Chris Matthews.... what I thought would be one or 2 e-mails turned into a few e-mails and phone calls and he was really interested in what I wanted... and He (not me ) said to me that he needed it to be perfect... since that first e-mail I have had 3 custom rigs built by him and just talked to him on the phone last night about a few ( yeah more than 2 ) more!!

if anything just e-mail him or give him a call and talk to him... I know he knows how to built a LR screamer... ask the guys at the 1K br match in Iowa this past weekend!!

If you want a guy that will really take time with you and actually listen to what you are trying to get out of project.

If you want absolute accuracy

If you want attention to detail

If you want perfection then...

My vote is for Chris Matthews. [email protected] think he might have a website

Chris Matthews gets my vote.

I have to be the most anal and picky SOB on the planet. It all started with an email to chris. I explained to him what I was looking for. Being this was my FIRST custom rig..I soon found out I really didn't know what I needed. After several emails and even more phone calls, Chris got me on the right track.

But wait...Now I wanna change this and that..No problem, spoke to Chris and had detailed conversations on why I wanted the changes etc.

Sent him the action and off we go............But wait I just saw a thread about so and so item and I gotta have it. Phone call # 500000 Item added.

All I can say is Chris has the patience of a saint. I thought for sure several times I was gonna flip this guy out with all the changes and questions etc. Some of the questions even went as far as" What would be the best load for this beast" Questions answerd.

Chris has a great personality and is willing to listen to everything you have to say.

Anyway, Chris just sent me an email saying my very first ever custom rifle will be done in a few days all I can say is WOW. To say I'm exciteds is an understatement.

Be sure to keep an eye open for that thread comin that will say "it's here" I will be sure to include pics and targets.

Joe

Young Grasshopper, you have chosen wisely....very wisely.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to all who responded and I think I will give Chris a call
Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote is for Brad Stair of Performance Guns West Haven Utah 1 801 731 8152. He built a 6mmBR improved on an action that he also builds.It will shoot in the 1's if I do my part on loads and shooting.he has built several for a couple of my friends that shoot ferry well also. The bear!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.