Who still shoots the old 06

The 30-06 still is a great cartridge that can be reloaded in a wide variety of uses. And there is always a box of factory ammo on the shelves just about anywhere. 120 years of performance I would guess. I've never pushed mine too hard but that's my next adventure is to see what mine can do at 1000 yards with the match kings I'm working up for steel.

Its a cartridge that will always have a spot in my safe!
I just picked up another one, I went to a local shop to pick up some powder and noticed a 4 digit serial Rem 700 in 30-06 priced less than a Savage Axis......I took pity on it and decided to give it a home. 🙄
It's a poor picture but it's in decent shape for its age!
20231209_221739.jpg

Carlos Hathcock sure made very good use of his Model 70 30-06 in Vietnam.
There was also a designated marksman/sniper on Iwo Jima that saved a lot of marine lives with his 30/06 by keeping a machine gun nest suppressed and stacking up several Japanese dead behind that machine gun at an amazing distance. He used a tall pole behind the nest as an aiming stake. It's certainly a cartridge with a lot of history.

Carlos Hathcock sure made very good use of his Model 70 30-06 in Vietnam.
There was also a designated marksman/sniper on Iwo Jima that saved a lot of marine lives with his 30/06 by keeping a machine gun nest suppressed and stacking up several Japanese dead behind that machine gun at an amazing distance. He used a tall pole behind the nest as an aiming stake. It's certainly a cartridge with a lot of history.
I wish I could find the story on the Iwo Jima event. I read it in a book on snipers. The distance was around 1300 yards. He said he felt like he at least had to try Because his marines in a valley below were getting cut to pieces. He used his M1D Garand with a buddy spotting for him to get the range And used the communications pole for his aiming stake. Then he started lobbing them in there. They were remanning it through a tunnel. He said it would go silent for a bit and then come back online. Pretty amazing story if I can locate it.

I do enjoy the history of the round, I know it isn't the newest but finding any component is fairly easy. I just like all rifles, cannot go wrong with any haha!

IMHO the 30-06 is a reloaders dream. It's the perfect size cartridge as small or as big as one might want with little care of danger. I love the 06 for this and there are some silly misconceptions out there. Glad your building one now. I'm getting a 300 wm personally . It's going to go great.

Is that a Merkel? I've got a K1 Stutzen in 30-06 that my dad left for me when he died. Looks very similar to yours.
Close, it's a Blaser K95. Merkel's are great rifles, but harder to find barrels for. I've got a 6.5 Swede and a 22 hornet along with the 30-06 for that gun.