Who makes the best Lightweight Long Range Gun

Dean2

Anyone can make a 12 LB gun that shoots great at long range. It takes REAL talent to make a 6-7 Lb gun, with scope, that is a consistent 800-1000 yard performer. So far the only guns of the many I have tried that will do it is the NULA by Melvin Forbes, and the Tikka with a custom McMillan stock. One was in 308 and the other, 6.5x57 AI. Both wore Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44 with the BRH reticle. I am in the process of working up loads for a Weatherby MKV UL in 257 Bee, to see if it will meet the challenge.

Was wondering what the collective experience has been on here for a gun with a max weight, scoped of 7.5 Lbs is What would you recommend for make, calibre, (no brakes so calibre must be a reasonable recoil that will work in a light gun), and scope.

I thought about this today.

I think its not that smiths can't build accurate and light rifles. Its that most people can't shoot light rifles as well as heavy ones. I'd think any smith worth his salt, could build a rifle, that at any weight, would shoot well from a machine rest. (I also realize there's load tuning, build quality, cooling between shots, etc, but my point remains the same.)

FWIW the British said in 1909, that the maximum allowable recoil is 15 pounds in a service rifle, knowing this is the threshold for most people. As I recall, the M1, M14 and every service weapon to date recoils below this. I wouldn't want a hunting rifle for big game at 8-1000 yards that weighted 7.5 pounds out the door. Any cartridge for game at that range would beat the hell out of you in a rifle that light. I realize personal levels of recoil are subjective, but I wouldn't want to practice with it enough to become proficient.

Also I suppose it depends on your definition of "accurate at 800-1000 yards." I'm using minute of killzone on big game for this post.

My two cents.
Best

Cooper Back Country, standard with a Jewell trigger. Largest caliber you can stand recoil, probably something in the 6.5x284 class.

Christensen Firearms with carbon fiber barrel.

Jim D

I wouldn't want a hunting rifle for big game at 8-1000 yards that weighted 7.5 pounds out the door. Any cartridge for game at that range would beat the hell out of you in a rifle that light. I realize personal levels of recoil are subjective, but I wouldn't want to practice with it enough to become proficient.

Also I suppose it depends on your definition of "accurate at 800-1000 yards." I'm using minute of killzone on big game for this post.

My two cents.
Best

My 6lb 13 oz rifle is a dream to practice with because it has a effective brake.

In some ways it actually makes a lot of sense to have a brake on a light rifle for practice and load development and just take it off for hunting purposes. That would remove one of the biggest drawbacks to Light and Ultra Light rifles.

Making an accurate, light weight long range rifle is the same as making a heavier weight one but shooting one as accurately is a whole different ball game!! IMO the only reason to be in the 8-10 lb weight range with a rifle is budget, to drop below 9 lbs with a long range optic is very expensive per ounce, to be in the 7 pound range with a heavy optic take coin but I see no difference in how they shoot but there is a huge difference in what you can get away with shooting them, you can run a 3 pound trigger on a gun that barely weights double that, you can be laying on the gun and IMO recoil control with a muzzle brake or suppressor is extremely important! Any more I'm seeing more light weight building done so with a suppressor the gun is a decent weight for hunting, really liking these kind of rifles!!!

My 6lb 13 oz rifle is a dream to practice with because it has a effective brake.
No doubt a brake would help. A can would be the best of both worlds. However, the original post stipulates no brake.
In some ways it actually makes a lot of sense to have a brake on a light rifle for practice and load development and just take it off for hunting purposes. That would remove one of the biggest drawbacks to Light and Ultra Light rifles.
Why wouldn't you just leave the brake on the rifle when you go hunting? Removing it and replacing it with a thread protector has potential to throw off the harmonics for your carefully developed load.

What Ragnarnar said. It's plain as the nose on my face that he really did put considerable thought in both his posts. (Not saying that other respondents commentary is trivial.) I've lived and seen what he's saying. I think it's well worth reading again, and again, and yes, even again.

I've asked myself the following many times in recent years: "The rifle can shoot; can I?"

No doubt a brake would help. A can would be the best of both worlds. However, the original post stipulates no brake.

Why wouldn't you just leave the brake on the rifle when you go hunting? Removing it and replacing it with a thread protector has potential to throw off the harmonics for your carefully developed load.

If you put on a weighted thread protector they rarely change the group size or the POI. I even have a couple that have clamp on brakes for my real thin barrelled rifles and removing the brake does not change the group size, I do however have to adjust POI when they come off.

As to why not just leave them on, the potential for permanent hearing loss after even one shot with a braked rifle and unprotected ears makes the risk too high in my books. I know I will always have protection on when I shoot but I can't control everyone else in the group. Particularly on guided hunts or hunts with groups where you don't know everyone intimately the risk is just too high; I would never want to leave someone deaf just to reduce a little recoil.

Dean2,

Your post reminds me of a woman I saw on the news a few minutes ago. She is charged with manslaughter because she said something to her boyfriend about committing suicide. He killed himself. I am amazed at the idea people no longer take any responsibilty for their own actions. And we now have a culture that encourages people to blame others.

I am convinced guns are LOUD. Everyone should use eletronic hearing protection ANYTIME they are using firearms.

Dean2,

Your post reminds me of a woman I saw on the news a few minutes ago. She is charged with manslaughter because she said something to her boyfriend about committing suicide. He killed himself. I am amazed at the idea people no longer take any responsibilty for their own actions. And we now have a culture that encourages people to blame others.

I am convinced guns are LOUD. Everyone should use eletronic hearing protection ANYTIME they are using firearms.

With no respect intended at all, blow it out your ***!

Your example is not even close to a good analogy. If you don't understand my concern over hunting with braked guns then you have very little in the way of real hunting experience or you only ever hunt alone. This has zero to do with people who lack a personal responsibility and everything to do with understanding that many of the trackers, skinners, beaters and jo boys on hunts could no more afford electronic ear protection than your dog could. Nor would they be educated enough to know how dangerous it is not to use them. After a few years of work they would end up completely deaf with no idea what caused it.

If you can live with causing that kind of damage fine but I cannot.

I don't want this to become an argument over braked or not, I would prefer it stick to the original question of who makes the most accurate LW rifle.

Well that went sideways fast...

I think several builders can make a rifle that is consostently accurate at long range. But it is much harder to shoot a light rifle, even at close range. It requires much more concentration and good technique to be consistent with a light rifle. Even shoulder position and tension has more effect on a light rifle.

I have a couple rifles that are sub 7.5 pounds and are very accurate- if I am on my game that day. I have a fierce Ti in 26 nosler, that rifle will put out 6-7" groups at 1000 if I do my part. Same with a hs precision pro-guide I have. But those rifles are much harder to shoot than a 16 pound gun, and much different than my 22 pound 338 edge. That said if you are packing a rifle up a big mtn or a multiday pack trip the 7 pound gun is what I will be taking.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.