Who loves their 257 wby magnums

Magazine, follower, bolt stop in the wrong place... The 257 and 338-378 are very different setups, and not much is directly interchangeable.

Still less $ to sell yours and buy another rifle. You might want to try Gunbroker to sell your rifle package as well.

If it were me I'd keep yours and buy a 257 to match. :)
Gunsmith said he'd put a block in it and magazine walls. He said for a new Bolt housing ,Bartlien bbl and all the work to do it would be about $900 bucks. But are you saying it would be a monstrosity ? This MK V action is so slick,I love it. But there are many other slick actions as well.

Here is a pic of my rifle Weatherby Vanguard with Ziess conquest scope

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 182
Gunsmith said he'd put a block in it and magazine walls. He said for a new Bolt housing ,Bartlien bbl and all the work to do it would be about $900 bucks. But are you saying it would be a monstrosity ? This MK V action is so slick,I love it. But there are many other slick actions as well.
I'm saying it would be like taking a big block Chevy and trying to put small block pistons and rods in it. You can "do" it (not practically, but...) but the amount of work is hardly worth the effort.

Why not have a big block and a small block for the same price?

I bought an Accumark used last year for under $1000 and it was like new. You can likely do the same with some watching and, as I noted, have two rifles.

I love my 257, just wish I had a 1:7 on it for the 131 blackjacks. Currently shooting 110 Accubonds at 3550 FPS

What's the optimum rifling twist if you want to exclusively shoot 100-120 bullets ? What powders,loads ?
As others have said - if you want to shoot the new breed of heavy bullets, you will probably need quicker than 1/10. I have a 27 inch barrel on a mark 5 which shoots 1/2 moa a fair bit faster than the old max loads top speeds as long as I do my part and maintain good cleaning routine. It has taken many hundreds of deer here in the UK and I wouldn't part from it. I did put a Macmillan stock on it many years ago as the original synthetic one didn't like a bipod. I hardly use bipods anymore, but love the stock so all in all - it's a sweet, sweet rifle that kills game when I point it at them.

Last edited:
Details on load: Norma brass, Fed 215 primers, moly coated Berger 115 VLD using RL-25 as high as 74 gr. Velocities varied with barrel lengths:

One 24", two 26"and two 28" barrels were originally used (other barrels came later). Velocities ranged from 3575 for the short barrel, 3625 or so for the 26" and 3685 and 3700 for the 28" barrels.. Remember all used moly coated Berger VLD bullets. My 28" barrel was tested in 85 degree temps.

Now using a new barrel. #3 profile 27 ½" 3 groove SS lilja 83 gr of RL-33 and moly coated 115 VLD velocity 3685 fps

I must mention this is what THIS configuration does and anyone else's 257 may not perform the same. Please work up carefully.

1 in 10 will stabilize bullets up to 120 grain. There's a trend you can read about in long range hunting toward 131 gr Blackjack bullets requiring 1 in 7.5. The first 257 Weatherby's were 1 in 12 and would only stabilize up to 100.

My 257 WBY is a fantastic rig for harvesting white tailed deer.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
I have had three 257 Wby rifles. My current was built with a 1:12 Shilen barrel on an FN commercial mauser action. It is a devastating long distance varmint rifle. I went to the 1:12 twist to shoot 90 gr bullets max. The 1:10 barrel over stabilizes the lighter rounds. My 75 gr hand loads get over 4,000 fps with 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I also built a 25-06 which is also good varmint rifle.

I have a bone stock Vanguard S2 stainless. I love it. I worked up a load couple months ago with the 100gr Barnes TTSX. I think I'm using IMR 7828 if I'm remembering right. Not smoking fast, I'm right at 3500 but the accuracy is really good so I'm leaving it as it. Things kills deer like lightning.
Scooter

morning, I have 2 custom made. I am working with 7828, H-1000
MRP, RS Magnum, and 4831SC. I use 4831sc in my 340.
justme gbot tum

I love mine I have one done by bob hart and have a 28" tube. 1/10 twist. Really wish I went 1/8 so I had more choices in monos. No downside to a 1/7 or 8 if only shooting 110 plus size Bullets.
I'm pushing the 115gr Nosler at 3480fps with no real pressure. Thing is amazing on deer and hogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts