257 wby loads

LRben

Hi I have just got me a 257 wby mag while I'm still running the barrel and not too fussed about the loads yet. What are some of the better loads that you guys have come up with??

I live in Australia and really only have access to ADI powders but I'll hunt down any that I can get.

Cheers

Ah, the .257 Weatherby Mag. I love that caliber.
I run a pretty hot load in mine so be careful and work up to it. I get 3725 fps out of 72.0 grs of RL22 using Barnes 100gr TSXs. Keep in mind that RL22 is temperature sensitive and running a hot load with this powder in hot weather might cause problems.

Thanks for the reply. RE22 sits somewhere between ADI's AR2213SC and AR2217. I had been using AR2209 but I found that the load Density wasn't all that flash. I might try to find sone RE22 or just try out a slower burning powder to what I have at the mo.

Thanks again.

70.0grns of rl25 behind 115 bergers is my load for my accumark i get 3150fps coal 3.250

Last edited:
Ah, the .257 Weatherby Mag. I love that caliber.
I run a pretty hot load in mine so be careful and work up to it. I get 3725 fps out of 72.0 grs of RL22 using Barnes 100gr TSXs. Keep in mind that RL22 is temperature sensitive and running a hot load with this powder in hot weather might cause problems.
Same load I use but I use the Barnes Tipped TSX 100gr.

h29zo67.jpg

I have had 3/8-1/2 with my vanguard , 67 imr 7828 110 nabs and same load 85 nbt,fed 215's. I had the tsx shoot, but Ima fighting the 115 berger,still going to try them some more

Cheers so far with running in I have tried 65gr AR2209 behind 75gr Sierra Varminators with a 1.25 inch group and 115 Nosler BT infront of 60gr's of AR2209 with 2inch plus groups. Like I said I'm still running the barrel in but it sounds like either 110 or 100 gr bullets are the go. That and a powder that fills the case without creating too much pressure.

Hi, I shoot win WXR 71.0 with a molyed 110 acubond molyed at 3600. this is a top load so start low and work your way up. this load works great on deer, hogs and coyotes.

This powder has been discontued. It is close to 7828 and I use wby case. good luck.

My best groups and velocity has come from RL25, IMR7828, and IMR4831. Maybe one day I will find a secret recipe using RL22. So far it's been a PITA.

Sorry but what is PITA???

Also what are some good aftermarket stocks for the Vanguard rifle?

I'm thinking a wilddog sporter stock but I want to drop a heavy barrel on it within a year or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts